James Akintunde scores winner as Bohemians beat Dundalk to go third

Dundalk remain four points adrift of local rivals Drogheda United at the foot of the top-flight table

League of Ireland Premier Division: Bohemians 1 Dundalk 0

Substitute James Akintunde bagged the all-important goal as Bohemians moved up to third in the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division with a narrow victory over basement side Dundalk at Dalymount Park last night.

Rescheduled after adverse weather conditions put paid to their planned meeting in the Phibsborough venue on March 1st, this was a clash of two teams who had started the season with different managers at the helm.

While Bohs have drafted in Alan Reynolds as a replacement for Declan Devine – and displayed significant signs of improvement in recent wins over Galway United and Shelbourne – Dundalk are currently being steered by Liam Burns and Brian Gartland on an interim basis after Stephen O’Donnell was relieved of his managerial duties last Monday week.


There was plenty of endeavour from both teams during the opening period, but clear-cut chances were proving hard to come by. Robbie Benson did have a chance to break the deadlock on 25 minutes, but the Dundalk midfielder’s close-range effort off a Daryl Horgan set-piece was deflected over the woodwork.

Bohs skipper Dylan Connolly was also close to getting on the end of an enticing cross just shy of the half-hour mark, but this tie ultimately remained scoreless at the interval.

Both teams freshened up their line-ups with the introduction of half-time substitutes, but Dundalk were forced into a further change when former Gypsies footballer Robert Mahon was stretched off with a little under an hour gone on the clock – Ryan O’Kane taking his place in the Lilywhites’ attack.

Bohs subsequently made a double switch on 64 minutes to allow Akintunde and Declan McDaid to enter the fray, and the latter was immediately in the thick of the action. Seconds after his spectacular curled effort from a left-hand angle produced a superb stop from the Dundalk netminder, McDaid was also denied by George Shelvey from point-blank range.

However, Reynolds’ willingness to alter his side did eventually pay dividends as Akintunde rose highest to head home a free-kick from Dayle Rooney (who had taken over from Martin Miller at the start of the second half) on the right-flank with only 10 minutes of normal time remaining.

Dundalk pushed hard for an equaliser in the closing moments of the game, but with a record of four draws, six defeats and zero wins, the Louth men remain four points adrift of local rivals Drogheda United at the foot of the top-flight table.

BOHEMIANS: Chorazka; Lilander, Byrne, Keita, Kirk; McDonnell (B McManus, 91 mins), J McManus; Connolly (McDaid, 64 mins), Clarke (Akintunde, 64 mins), Miller (Rooney, 46 mins); Piszczek (Reinkort, 81 mins).

DUNDALK: Shelvey; Davies, Animasahun (Annesley, 46 mins), Boyle, Bradshaw; High, Benson (Kenny, 91 mins); Horgan, Doyle (Keane, 73 mins), Mahon (O’Kane, 60 mins); Gullan.

Referee: E O’Shea (Tipperary).