A round-up of today's other GAA news in brief

Tipperary and Cork to clash in provincial decider

A GRITTY and determined Tipperary outfit ground out a 2-5 to 0-9 victory over Clare in the semi-final of the Munster under-21 football championship at Cooraclare on Saturday afternoon.

Despite trailing 0-7 to 1-1 at the break, the visitors dominated the second period to reach the provincial decider.

In the 17th minute of the first half, Seán Carey collected a pass from Brian Quinn and waltzed through the Clare defence for an easy goal. And Carey grabbed Tipp’s second in the 43rd minute, setting his side up for a deserved victory.

TIPPERARY:M O’Donnell; D Buckley, C McDonald, S Mullins; C Aylward, J Coghlan, B Fox; B Jones, A Moloney (0-2, one free); S Carey (2-1), J Cagney, P Acheson; T Dalton (0-2, one free), D Burns, B Quinn. Subs:D Lynch for Mullins (28 mins), T Dunne for Coghlan (42), D Keogh for Acheson (51), D Foley for Burns (59).

CLARE:P O’Dwyer; D Ryan, D Hickey, N White; K Hartnett, L Markham, K Whelan (0-1); G Brennan, C O’Connor; D Cusack (0-1), S Collins, D Gallery; E Lyons (0-2, one free), S Crotty, M McCarthy (0-5, three frees) . Subs:P McMahon for Hartnett (half-time), M Moloney for Cusack (43 mins), S Ryan for OConnor (53), C McInerney for Lyons (58).

Referee:P O’Suilleabháin (Kerry)

CORK compiled another impressive tally in reaching the Munster under-21 football final following a 0-19 to 0-9 victory over Waterford at Páirc Uí Rinn.

Apart from the opening quarter, when Waterford matched their opponents – trailing 0-4 to 0-3 – it was one- way traffic, with Cork pulling away to lead by eight at the interval, 0-11 to 0-3.

The trend continued after the break, with Cork hitting four more points without reply. There was no way back for Waterford.

CORK:D Farry; S McLoughlin, J O’Sullivan, N Galvin; Conor O’Driscoll (0-1), B Daly, D OSullivan; C O’Donovan, K ODriscoll (0-1); C Sheehan (0-2), S McCarthy (0-1), Colm O’Driscoll (0-1); C ONeill (0-6, one free), D Goold (0-5, two frees), P Honohan (0-1). Subs:M Collins (0-1) for McCarthy (43 mins), B O’Driscoll for Honohan (44), E Keane for O’Donovan (52), R Buckley for J OSullivan (54), E Buckley for Sheehan (58).

WATERFORD:S Enright; A Seward, A Doyle, L Casey; J McGrath, G Dunphy, N Walsh; S OHare (0-1), T Prendergast; R Ahearn, B Phelan (0-1), C McGrath; J O’Mahony (0-5, three frees), E Cummins (0-1), A Brophy (0-1). Subs:T Houlihan for Walsh (half-time), C Nugent for Prendergast (39 mins), J Kirwan for Seward (55).

Referee:M Meade (Limerick).

Only Sligo can halt Mayo's bid for four

SLIGO had little difficulty overcoming Leitrim, 0-12 to 0-4, in a poor Connacht semi-final game played in ideal conditions on Saturday at Carrick-on-Shannon.

Leading five points to one after 15 minutes, Sligo faltered in the second quarter and Leitrim reduced the arrears with points by Fergal Clancy and Emmet Mahon.

However, Sligo extended their lead with a Stephen Kilcoyne point three minutes after the break and the Leitrim challenge faded.

SLIGO:C O’Mahony; P Greene, B Murphy, N Gaughan; C Davey, N Ewing, G Gilsenan; S Henry, S Gilmartin; K Cawley, G Gaughan (0-1), S Kilcoyne (0-2); S Coen (0-5), E McHugh (0-4 two frees), A Dunne. Subs:J Hynes for A Dunne, C Brady for K Cawley, P Kelly for G Gilsenan.

LEITRIM:P Farrelly; M Mitchell, C McCauley, T Davitt; P Brennan, C Sheridan, A Dolan; W McKeon, E Mahon (0-1); E O’Malley (0-1, free), F Clancy (0-1, free), D O’Connor, G Sammon, T Beirne, A Croal (0-1). Subs:E McHugh for D O’Connor, R Mulvey for F Clancy, C McLoughlin for A Dolan.

Referee:D Corcoran (Mayo).

MAYO, seeking their fourth Connacht under-21 title in a row, recorded a 4-14 to 2-15 victory over Roscommon at Charlestown.

Mayo trailed by three in the last minute of normal time, but a Jason Doherty goal forced extra-time. Mayo took control and made the game safe when Neill Douglas scored his second goal.

MAYO:R Hennelly (0-1, a 45); E O’Reilly, K Keane, J Broderick; D Vaughan (0-1), L Keegan, K McLoughlin; T Parsons (0-1), A O’Shea; C Carolan (0-1), F Burke, C Freeman (0-1); M Sweeney (0-2), N Douglas (2-0), J Doherty (2-4). Subs:B Gallagher for Freeman, S Prendergast for Broderick, C Jordan (0-3) for Gallagher, N Prenty for Burke, C English for Vaughan, B Gallagher for Parsons.

ROSCOMMON:M O’Malley; N Carthy, N Collins, P Domican; D Ward, D Flynn, J McKeague; D Shine (0-3), D Keenan; K Waldron, P Garvey (0-1), K Higgins (0-4); F Cregg (1-2), M McLoughlin, D O’Gara (1-0). Subs:S Ormsby for Domican, C Devanney (0-5) for Garvey, P Glesson for Collins, C. McHugh for McLoughlin, C Shine for Waldron, C Garvey for McKeague.

Referee:R McBrien (Leitrim).

Wexford throw league wide open 

WEXFORD’S senior camogie players shocked NL Division One table toppers Galway at Ballinasloe with a late goal garnering a 1-12 to 1-11 victory and two valuable points.

Victory for the westerners would have guaranteed them a final spot, but their destiny will now be determined by the meeting of Cork and Wexford on April 5th. If Cork prevail at home to Limerick next weekend and then away to Wexford, a play-off would be necessary between Galway, Wexford and Cork.

In Group Two, Kilkenny played out a thrilling draw with Tipperary at James Stephen’s GAA grounds. Their 2-7 to 1-10 score means these teams will have to meet again to see who goes through to the final.

Dublin in decider

WESTMEATH failed to score from play in the second half of their provincial under-21 football semi-final in Parnell Park – Dublin winning out, 1-10 to 0-9.

Luke Sweetman’s pass to Dean Kelly set up Dublin for the only goal of the game on nine minutes.

DUBLIN:D McDonnell; C Moore, S Byrne, H Gill; J Cooper, C O’Sullivan, C Guckian; C Murphy, J Sheanon; P O’Connor (0-4, three frees), L Sweetman, D Kelly (1-0); B O’Rorke (0-1), P Andrews (0-3), D Rock (0-2). Subs:R O’Carroll for S Byrne (15 mins), T Furman for Sweetman (43), K Nolan for Sheanon (45), N Brogan for Cooper (47), G McIntyre for Murphy (53).

WESTMEATH:D Quinn; F Reilly, K Gavin , S Moorehead; J Dolan, A Whitney, T Warburton; N Kilcoyne, A Browne; K Martin, C Reilly, C Lynam; B Kelly (0-2), T McDaniel (0-1), J Conellan (0-6, five frees). Subs:A Gaughan for Martin (17 mins), D Condon for Whitney (41), A McCormack for Kelly (43), P Sharry for McDaniel (49), S Quinn for Lynam (58).

Referee:P Finnegan (Louth).