Gardai satisfied poisoning was not malicious

 

Gardaí are satisfied four people who were hospitalised after consuming a toxic substance at a Hallowe'en party in the city centre last night were not poisoned maliciously.

The four were treated in hospital for internal injuries after they drank what gardaí now believe was some form of cleaning agent.

Two of the youths, a 14-year old girl and a 16-year old boy are still in intensive care but are said to be in a stable condition.

Gardaí were called to a bonfire at the back of a flat complex on Dorset Street at 2.50 a.m. after the people, aged between 15 and 23, became seriously ill after drinking from a bottle passed round by an unknown individual.

Three of the youths are understood to have swallowed some of the contents, which may have contained acid, while a fourth spat the liquid out after seeing the effect it had on the others.Two of the young people were transferred to the Mater Hospital where they are being treated in the hospital's intensive care unit. Two others are being treated in St James's and St Vincent's hospitals.