Most Ukrainian refugees arriving in Ireland are lone parents with children — CSO

Almost three-quarters of children who enrolled in school are in primary education

The number of Ukrainian refugees registered in Ireland has increased by more than 3,000 in two weeks, according to new figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO).

As of the week June 19th, 38,700 personal public service numbers (PPSNs) have been issued by the State to individuals from the war-torn country availing of provisions under the temporary protection directive since early March.

Most refugees arriving in Ireland from the war in Ukraine are classified as lone parents with children, according to the data.

Updated statistics on Friday showed the highest percentage (41 per cent or 15,850 people) were categorised as “one parent with children” under broad relationship classification headings. Men of conscription age, aged 18 to 60, were banned from leaving Ukraine after February’s invasion by Russia.


The CSO also notes that the numbers used are based on PPSN and so there may be refugees who have not yet applied for or received one, and others who are no longer in the country.

As of June 7th, almost three-quarters (71 per cent) of 6,890 children who had enrolled in school were in primary education and the remaining 29 per cent were enrolled in secondary schools. Dublin has the highest number of children enrolled in schools at 1,205, while Monaghan had the lowest at 23.

The CSO’s Arrivals from Ukraine in Ireland report is the third in a series providing insights into Ireland’s response to the Ukrainian crisis.

Using local post office addresses as a proxy for places of residence, Ukrainians have been found to be present in every local electoral area (LEAs) across the country, with Dublin’s north inner-city having the highest number of arrivals at 1,245 accounting for 1.96 per cent of the population. Ennistimon, Co Clare was found to have the highest rate of arrivals in all electoral areas at 7.28 per cent of the population or 1,194.

Other areas with relatively high numbers of refugee arrivals include Middleton, Co Cork, and Killarney and Kenmare in Co Kerry.

Women aged 20 and over account for 47 per cent of arrivals to date, while individuals aged 19 and younger account for 37 per cent.

Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard is a reporter with The Irish Times