Suffolk Street church to let with permission for licensed food hall

St Andrew’s served until 2014 as a tourist office for State tourism body Fáilte Ireland

The ongoing transformation of the area between Grafton Street and Dame Street is expected to give fresh impetus to a long-standing plan to give a new lease of life to the landmark former church known as St Andrew’s on Suffolk Street.

Occupied and operated as a tourist office up until 2014 by the State's tourism body, Fáilte Ireland, the extensive cut-stone building is being offered to the letting market now with the benefit of full planning permission for a licensed food hall, dining, cultural space along with annex banqueting hall. The plan – spearheaded by entrepreneur and hospitality specialist Michael Wright of the Wrights of Howth family – secured approval from Dublin City Council in December 2019. With Mr Wright having decided to focus his energies on his company's numerous other interests – which include Hogs and Heifers and the Marqette foodhall in Dublin Airport – St Andrew's on Suffolk Street is being made available on a new long-term lease through agent Cushman & Wakefield.

Character

Anna Gilmartin, who is handling the letting on behalf of Fáilte Ireland, says she believes a wide variety of users will be interested in St Andrew’s based on its location, size and character. The rent is expected to be in excess of €600,000 per annum.

St Andrew’s comprises a former church which was originally situated on Dame Street. The building fell into disuse, and it was refounded on the present-day site in 1670. By 1750, the building had fallen into a state of disrepair and by 1790 had completely deteriorated. In 1803, a considerable investment was made to construct a second church on the site, which was completed in 1807 but accidentally burned to the ground in 1860. The present-day building was constructed and consecrated in 1866. After it ceased to be used as a church in 1993, the property was converted into, and operated as, a tourist office up until 2014.

Outdoor seating

While the main church building extends to a total floor area of 1,839sq m (19,794sq ft) over three floors, it offers the incoming tenant a large ground-floor area of 818.1sq m (8,806sq ft). The opportunity includes an annex building situated to the rear of site extending to 157sq m (1,690sq ft) as well as the opportunity for an extensive outdoor seating area.

St Andrew’s occupies a prime location on Suffolk Street, and sits just 220 metres from Grafton Street with its range of high-profile retailers such as Brown Thomas, Marks & Spencer, Massimo Dutti, Lululemon. The property is also located just a short walk from Trinity College Dublin, as well as the Central Plaza and Chatham & King schemes developed respectively on Dame Street and Chatham Street.