Rory Patterson seals Derry win with last kick against Wexford

Striker helps Candystripes to fourth consecutive victory over newly promoted side

Wexford Youths 1 Derry City 2

A Rory Patterson goal with literally the last touch of the match gave Derry City a fourth consecutive victory as they rejoined Dundalk at the top of the Premier Division table.

The result was heartbreaking for newly-promoted Youths who, as they had been in their opening four matches, were once again well in the game, but continue to search for their first win in the top flight.

With the match in the fourth minute of added time, striker Patterson met Barry McNamee's deep free kick to loop a header to the net for his fourth goal of the season. Referee Graham Kelly blew the final whistle on the restart.


Danny Furlong looked to have salvaged a point for Youths with a late equaliser when sweeping home Eric Molloy's cross on 83 minutes.

Derry had broken the deadlock in an entertaining clash, despite the swirling wind and rain, 14 minutes earlier.

Substitute Keith Ward’s cross was cleverly laid off by McNamee for fellow midfielder Conor McCormack to find the top corner with a crisp right-foot drive from 20 yards.

A lively opening produced a chance at either end inside the first four minutes.

Youths had the better one three minutes in with Furlong threading a ball through for the run of Paul Murphy. Experienced Derry goalkeeper Ger Doherty was off his line promptly to save at the striker's feet.

Scarcely a minute later and Ronan Curtis's attempted cross deflected off Youths right back Craig McCabe to loop over goalkeeper Graham Doyle and bounce agonisingly out for a corner.

Youths then spurned another one-on-one opportunity on 20 minutes in a route one attack.

Doyle's clearance was flicked through by midfielder Chris Kenny for Furlong. Once again, though, Doherty was wide awake to the danger and raced off his line to save at the edge of his area.

Another direct chance fell Youths’ way on 44 minutes. Doyle’s kick out bounced straight through to the Derry box where Furlong’s first-time volley flew just wide.

The striker had yet another opportunity in the first minute of added time at the end of the half. Midfielder Aidan Friel put over a cross from the right and Furlong's shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by the busy Doherty.

Derry were much improved on the resumption, testing Doyle for the first time on 58 minutes. McNamee’s corner from the right found skipper Ryan McBride at the back post with Doyle doing well to parry the shot before Youths survived an alright scramble in their area.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Doyle; McCabe, G Delaney (Last, 83 mins), Grace, R Delaney; Friel, Kenny, Ledwith (Wall, 78 mins), Mulligan (Molloy, 65 mins); Murphy, Furlong.

DERRY CITY: Doherty; Vemmelund, McBride, Barry, Jarvis; McCormack; McGlynn (Ward, 57 mins), McNamee, Monaghan, Curtis (Boyle, 76 mins); Patterson.

Referee: Graham Kelly (Cork).