Derry City draw a blank against basement side Limerick

Candy Stripes winless run extends to 11 after an insipid affair at the Brandywell

Derry City 0 Limerick 0

A chorus of boos greeted the final whistle at the Brandywell last night, Derry City again failing to find the net against Premier Division basement side, Limerick.

Indeed, the home faithful continue to get restless as the Candy Stripes huffed and puffed during a first half having wasted no shortage of clear-cut chancees.

And, not for the first time, Derry failed to turn up after the break neither side threatening to score in a game which developed into further frustration.


Ironically, Derry actually moved out of the relegation play-off spot due to the fact that Sligo were defeated by Bohemians - but only on goal difference.

Having failed to win a league game now after 11 matches, team boss Peter Hutton remains under pressure and given last night's very poor attendance, dark clouds are beginning to hover over the Foyleside venue.

Derry had actually dominated the opening half, however, as has been the case over recent weeks, they struggled in the final third.

Talisman, Patrick McEleney, clearly the home side’s best player on the night, went close to breaking the deadlock during the opening seven minutes as the Candy Stripes got off to a lively start with the wind at their backs.

On the half hour the home lot really should have broke the deadlock following another McEleney-inspired move.

Having sent Mark Timlin scampering clear on the left, the winger's low centre across the six yards line was met by the advancing Stephen Dooley but, from point blank range, he fluffled his lines and a glorious chance was lost.

One minute later Derry threatened again when Shane McEleney played Barry McNamee into a one-on-one situation but his low shot was parried wide by keeper, Fred Hall.

Patrick McEleney was denied by Hall at his near post as the home side continued to huff and puff in the front line.

And one minute before the break Dooley blasted the ball recklessly over the crossbar, McEleney again the architect of the move with a superb chip to set him up.

The second half proved to be a hugely disappointing affair with both sides struggling to score and, at the death, an inswinging cross by Derry substitute, Ronan Curtis found its way into the path of fellow sub, Cillian Morrison, who handled the ball when attempting to score.

Derry City: Doherty; Cornwall, McBride, S. McEleney, Jarvis; Dooley (Curtis, 76), McNamee, Jarvis, Timlin; P. McEleney (Quigley, 81), Curran (Morrison, 85).

Limerick: Hall; O'Connor, Price, Williams, Tracy; Mann (Agyemang, h/t), Hughes (Lynch, 70), Duggan, Turner; Clarke, Russell.

Referee: P. Tuite (Dublin).