Reports of Dublin turbulence described as `scandalous'
JOHN F BAILEY, the Dublin County Board chairman, yesterday reacted to reports of turbulence in the Dublin football camp as being "scandalous, fabricated and out of context".
"Misquoting," he said, "aimed at stirring up muck, could boil up something out of nothing."He insists that when football manager Mickey Whelan and his team of selectors were being ratified for the second year of their three-year term, standing procedures were being observed. "There was not one dissenting voice," he claims.
Conversely, it is understood that while only the county's hurling team management was officially on the agenda, there was a subsequent "demand from the floor" for a debate on the football management.
Bailey says that because of the "scandalous" publicity, he would be instructing county secretary John Costelloe to, "issue a statement on the whole matter".
John O'Leary, captain of the football team, claims he has been dragged into the debate unjustly and wishes to be distanced from the matter. He was still incensed yesterday afternoon about the manner in which his name and credibility were allegedly used and misrepresented at Monday night's meeting of the county board.
"It is not up to John O'Leary to appoint the team's management," he said. "That's the business of "the county board. The chairman is alleged to have used my name as some kind of a casting vote in favour when it looked like there was going to be a revolt. He had no business to do that and I wish to distance myself from any such action.
"I had told the chairman of my meeting with Mickey Whelan at his home on the afternoon - a friendly meeting with no animosity - before the `clear the air' meeting with the players that evening.
O'Leary related the good mood of that meeting to Bailey, but nothing else. Questions had been asked and answered by Whelan during a good and harmonious meeting later that evening with, the players.
"I've got on very well with Mickey Whelan. I accept that he is the manager. Looking back on the happenings of the past season, sure, I feel I would like some say. A lot of things could and should have been done.
"I have nothing against Mickey Whelan, we got on very well, but I wish to distance myself from the way my name was allegedly used by the chairman, out of context, at Monday's meeting.
"The best thing now is for us to get on with it and all work to the best of out ability."
Whelan has yet to announce the composition of his panel for the new season's National Football League in which Dublin have a first-round Division Two clash away to Leitrim on October 13th. Their remaining six rounds are at home to Armagh, away to Mayo, at home to Clare, at home to Louth, away to Monaghan and at home to Laois.
The extent of any unhappiness in the camp will no doubt be reflected by the number of acceptances by players to remain on in the squad. Whelan has hinted that, as a result of recent talent-spotting, young players will be seen in the new panel.
Meanwhile, there is considerable speculation regarding the likely composition of the Mayo defence for Sunday week's All-Ireland final against Meath.
Peter Butler has been re-introduced to the panel for the first time since his long-term injury. Dermot Flanagan, whose father Sean captained the team to All-Ireland successes in 1950 and `51, will be hoping to retain the left -corner-back spot having deputised for the injured Anthony McGarry against Kerry in the semi-final. The same must obtain for midfielder Pat Fallon now that David Brady is fully recovered from injury.
Mayo, in Division Two next season, and Meath, in Division One, will of course be going their separate ways when the League gets under way. Meath are at home to Cavan on October 13th band Mayo will host Monaghan in the opening round.
The pick of the first series of Ieague matches could be the Division One meeting of Derry and Tyrone at Celtic Park.
.The 1989 Mayo team, beaten by Cork in the All-Ireland final, is to be honoured when it receives the "learn of excellence" award from the Clanna Gael-Fontenoy club on the eve of this year's final.
The Limerick GAA County Board Executive Committee said it wished to apologise to all concerned over to incidents which occurred prior to the game and during half-time in the All-Ireland SH final on Sunday, "particularly - inappropriate behaviour during the presidential salute and inspection; secondly - failure to complete the parade and thirdly - premature return to the field at half-time."