Men’s Hockey: Corinthian produce late fightback for point against Lisnagarvey

Sothern shows his value to Pembroke as he hits four goals against Glenanne

Corinthian’s Andrew Sutton emerging from a melee with an equalising goal. Photograph: Adrian Boehm

A dramatic Andrew Sutton goal saw Corinthian produce an incredible late fightback to nick a point against Lisnagarvey, knocking the Ulster side off top spot of the men's EY Hockey League.

The first half ended scoreless but things appeared to be going smoothly for Garvey when Ollie Kidd and Mark McNellis put them two clear in the fourth quarter.

But Davy Howard and veteran Sutton's goal in the last 30 seconds earned the reds a gleefully-celebrated point which lifts them from eighth place to sixth in the rankings.

The result opened the door for Three Rock Rovers’ move back into first place as the leadership hot potato continued – this was the fifth successive round that had seen top spot change hands.


Rovers were 3-1 winners against Annadale despite the hosts getting off to a flying start with Owen McElhinney's left-wing cross on his reverse turned in by James Clark. Three Rock, though, were level in the sixth minute when Ben Johnson nailed a drag-flick.

Rovers were initially awarded a stroke in Q2 when Johnson got in behind the last defender and went tumbling under a challenge from goalkeeper Sam Hamill, but an umpire's consultation overturned the decision.

Conor Quinn made a big save from David Tremlett's deflection before Rovers made it 2-1 with the last play of the half as Johnson's shot was blocked by a body on the line and Ross Canning stepped up to convert from the penalty spot.

The Dubliners moved into a 3-1 lead from their third penalty corner of the second half with Johnson again the man on target, going down the glove side into the bottom corner.

After that Rovers held on reasonably comfortably with Quinn not called into action in the closing 20 minutes, while Hamill made some robust stops in the Dale goal.


Glenanne, meanwhile, dropped off the pace as Alan Sothern showed his value to Pembroke. He scored four goals as he returned to full flow after injury to give his side a vital 5-3 victory.

It was a measure of efficiency as Glenanne had a larger amount of possession and chances but Pembroke picked off corners and strokes from their fewer attacks to make the difference.

The Glens peppered Ilko Dartsch's goal in the first few minutes with a couple of corners and a Richie Shaw volley flashing across goal. Sam O'Connor put them in front in the 24th minute, but Sothern equalised within two minutes to have it level at the big break.

The second half started with the Glens on the attack for the most part but Pembroke's first attack of the half led to a stroke which Sothern did not catch too cleanly but got enough on it to make it through David Lawless.

Jason Rogan equalised when he flicked in when the ball fell to him after a left-wing attack, and Richard Couse applied a very smart take through his legs and finish for 3-2 from Shane O'Donoghue's pin-point pass.

But Pembroke finished strong ,with Sothern scoring a second stroke for 3-3 after a corner shot hit a body on the line with 13 minutes to go. Julian Dale added a direct drag-flick to retake the lead soon after and Sothern completed the victory with his fourth of the day. They finished up round 12 one point away from safety while Glenanne are in third, three points off first.