No doubts about Galway's superiority


Galway 4-16 Cork 1-11:GALWAY CLAIMED their first league win under John McIntyre’s stewardship following success at Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday.

The gulf in class, experience and physique was all too obvious, with the visitors in total control.

Cork remain rooted to the foot of the table, odds-on for relegation and Division Two hurling next year. Yet, there was never any doubt about their enthusiasm and commitment, but even those commendable traits couldn’t mask their all too visible limitations.

Effectively, Galway had the points wrapped up by half-time. Backed by the wind they scorched to a 2-11 to 0-5 interval lead and never looked troubled in defending their advantage.

They had four points on the board by the time David Tierney ghosted in behind the defence to coolly pick his spot for the opening goal after 12 minutes. Adrian Mannix opened Cork’s account within a minute, but five unanswered points stretched the lead to 1-9 to 0-1 after 21 minutes.

Galway’s ninth point was the pick of the bunch. Ger Farragher showed good vision to pick out the unmarked Tierney from a sideline cut and the finish matched the approach.

Three points without reply reflected Cork’s spirited defiance only for a second Galway goal, 90 seconds from the break, to open up a 12-point gap, way too big a margin for the youngsters to close-in during the second half.

The goal was simplicity itself. Corner back Fergal Moore whipped first-time on a ball that must have travelled 70 metres before Donnellan reacted quickest of all to win possession and race clear to score easily.

The early exchanges after half-time showed no change in the pattern.

Cork managed to keep apace with their opponents’ scoring rate until a third goal, in the 54th minute, again exposed their vulnerability in defence.

Donnellan turned provider on this occasion, confidently picking out the unattended Aongus Callanan for this first of his brace to extend Galway’s lead to 16 points, 3-14 to 0-7.

Tadgh Óg Murphy underlined his obvious potential by scoring three fine points on the spin.

Galway got their fourth goal in the 63rd minute, when Eoin Forde played the ball in for Callanan to claim his second.

Cork’s consolation arrived in the shape of a fortuitous long-range goal near the end from substitute Stephen White, whose speculative shot deceived an otherwise sound debutant Eric Ward, who was minding the visitors’ net.

GALWAY: E Ward; M Ryan, C O’Donovan, F Moore; A Coen (0-1), S Kavanagh, G Mahon; A Cullinane (0-1), E Forde (0-1); D Tierney (1-2), K Hynes (0-1), C Donnellan (1-1); N Healy (0-4, one free), G Farragher (0-4, two 65s, one free), A Callanan (2-1). Subs: R Murray for Farragher (57 min), J Gantley for Donnellan (62 mins), B Burke for Forde (66 mins, yellow), P Killilea for Tierney (69 mins).

CORK: A Kennedy; E Keane, C Murphy, C O’Sullivan; J Moran, R Ryan, captain, C Leahy; B Johnson (0-2 frees), G O’Connor; A Mannix (0-2, one free), A Ryan, D Crowley; T Óg Murphy (0-4), M Collins, E Cronin (0-2). Subs: G O’Driscoll for Moran (26 mins), T Muphy for Collins (42 mins), S White (1-0) for Johnson (45 mins), C McCarthy for Crowley (53 mins), R O’Driscoll (0-1) for Mannix (58 mins), A Kearney for Keane (63 mins, yellow).

Referee: G Hoey (Clare).