Ennis boys take Dr Harty Cup home


St Flannan's, Ennis retained the Dr Harty Cup (Munster colleges SHC), their 18th win, after defeating St Finbarr's, Farranferris, Co Cork, at Feenagh, Co Limerick yesterday.

St Flannan's were on top early on; but they missed three chances before Tom Kenny had the game's opening two points for the Cork side.

Ten minutes elapsed before St Flannan's had their first score, a point by Brendan Dunne; but Farranferris stayed on top.

They threatened a surprise when they led 1-7 to 0-3 at half-time.

However, the game took a complete turn in the second half and Farranferris were out-played.

They managed only one point in the second half, from Daniel Hickey, a few minutes from the finish.

Whatever was said in the St Flannan's dressingroom during the break certainly had an effect: seven minutes into the second half Brendan Dunne had a goal for the champions to leave only a point between the sides.

Corner forward Andrew Quinn struck a purple patch and contributed seven of his side's points, while Tom Kenny scored four for Farranferris, whose 24th minute goal was scored by Kevin Foley.

St Flannan's - S Hawes, T McNamara, R O'Looney, G Farmer, J McMahon, C Plunkett, D Gleeson, G Quinn (0-1), T Griffin (0-2), T McNamara, T Carmody, R Conlon (0-1), B Gantley (0-2), B Dunne (1-1), A Quinn (0-7).

St Finbarr's - B McGinn, S O'Neill, R O'Riordan, C Hegarty, R O'Mahony, M Kelleher, D Niblock, C Fitzgerald, T Kenny (0-4), M O'Connor (0-2), J Russell, B Leahy, K Foley (1-1), J Gardiner, D Hickey (0-1).

Referee: J Kelly (Waterford)

Wicklow advanced to the semi-final of the Leinster under-21 football championship after victory over Carlow, (0-10 to 0-5), with a much improved second half performance, at Aughrim yesterday.

Carlow led by 0-3 to 0-2 at the end of the first half; but the introduction of Gary Doran to midfield by Wicklow in the second half changed their fortunes.

Another substitute in attack, Anthony Nolan, also made a big difference for Wicklow.

A string of points from Tony Hannon, Tommy Gill, Adrian Foley and Eddie Davis saw them race into a 0-8 to 0-4 lead on 47 minutes.

Carlow scored only two points in the second half as they drifted out of the game until near the end; but points by Hannon and Anthony Nolan in the closing minutes sealed victory for Wicklow, who now meet either Kildare or Westmeath in the semi-final.

Scorers: Wicklow - T Hannon (0-5), T Gill (0-2), E Davis, A Foley, A Nolan (0-1 each). Carlow - S McMahon (0-3), M Carpenter, B Kelly (0-1 each).

Referee: P Fox (Meath)