Dublin clubs go top


A GOOD weekend for Dublin teams saw Bective Clontarf and Skerries take over the top three places, while near neighbours Greystones did their cause no harm with a good home win over Sunday's Well.

Bective must be feeling a lot more confident after their 19-8 victory over previously undefeated Dolphin at Musgrave Park.

Bective have the accurate place kicking of replacement outhalf Shane Buckley to thank for their latest scalp. Although Bective led 6-3 at half time, they came under tremendous pressure at the start of the second half.

An excellent try by Conor Mahony after six minutes put Dolphin into the lead, but the home side failed to press home their advantage and after good work by winger Tony Gillen, Des Jackson dived over to put Bective back in front. Thereafter Buckley's kicking saw them home.

Clontarf's backs took a while to get into their stride but tries from Garret Aherne and flanker Colm Brady gave them a useful 12-0 lead at half time at home to NIFC.

A Nicky Barry try early in the second half finished the match as a contest and Clontarf finished up very comfortable 42-10 winners.

Skerries' push for promotion continues to gather momentum. The north Dublin club were not at their best on Saturday but their economic 9-3 victory over Highfield makes it four wins out of five.

The home side laid the foundation for their win in the first half with three well struck penalties from out half Jimmy Dempsey. The visitors' only response was a penalty from their out half Fergus Burke.

Out half Richie Murphy steered Greystones to an invaluable 18-14 win over Sunday's Well at Dr Hickey Park.

Besides contributing all of his side's points, Murphy kept the visitors' pacey back division pinned back with some astute line kicking. Four penalties and a marvellous drop goal gave the home side an 15-11 lead at half time.

Monkstown got back to winning ways when they overpowered UCC by 36-13 at Sydney Parade.

Captain Conor Heaney led from the front and two first half tries from the hard working scrum half helped his side to a 24-6 lead.

City of Derry came tantalisingly close to collecting their first brace of points at Gibson Park but Malone's stamina and resiliance stood them in good stead and they won out 12-10 in the end.

Despite trailing 9-3 at half time Derry upped their performance in the last quarter and a converted try by second row forward Liam McGettigan, gave them the lead.

However a Gareth Fry penalty on 80 minutes restored Malone's lead and condemned Derry to their fifth straight defeat.