Dublin capture minor title


Leinster MHC Final/ Dublin 2-14 Kilkenny 1-10: Dublin strode to a deserved success over Kilkenny at Croke Park yesterday to claim their second ESB Leinster MHC title in three seasons.

The Blues always held the upper hand over their illustrious opponents and were dominant in most sectors of the field as they registered a famous victory.

Second half goals from Paul Garbutt and captain Barry O'Rorke broke the Kilkenny resistance as Dublin built on a steady first half display that saw them leading at the break by 0-7 to 0-4.

The loss of virus victim PJ Rowe before the throw-in was a considerable one for Kilkenny but it is unlikely that his presence would have made much difference to the result as the Dubs grew in stature as the game progressed and were well worth their success.

Indeed the final margin is probably slightly flattering to the young Cats as their goal only arrived on the stroke of full time, courtesy of Paul Murphy.

Three points from Mark Bergin (two frees) gave Kilkenny an early two-point lead, but Dublin notched up six of the next seven scores, including two immaculately-struck '65s from midfielder David Whelan to lead by 0-7 to 0-4 at the break.

David Treacy, O'Rorke, Wayne Brogan and Peter Kelly also got on the scoresheet, while Bergin was Kilkenny's only outlet in the opening period, completing his tally from a free.

The Noresiders didn't score for the final quarter of an hour of that first half though as Dublin gradually got on top around the middle and their attack began to flourish thanks to an increasing supply of possession.

Kilkenny did briefly threaten a fightback with two quick-fire Shane Brennan points straight after the resumption but when Garbutt doubled Whelan's free to the net in the 33rd minute, the Dubs' belief soared.

Whelan and the lively Brogan followed up with points and when Michael Fagan was dismissed after an off-the-ball altercation with Whelan, there was no way back for Kilkenny.

Dual star O'Rorke raced through for a goal midway through the second half and Dublin were able to enjoy the run-in to a fine victory.

David Treacy (two frees), O'Rorke and Emmet McCabe all registered points and while Michael Murphy hit back with two of his own before his namesake struck for that late goal, nothing was going to ruin talented Dublin's day as they convincingly captured the provincial crown.

DUBLIN: F McGarry; O Gough, E Walsh, P Schutte; P Kelly 0-1, R O'Carroll, P Buckeridge; D Whelan 0-3 (two '65s), D Mooney; J Cooper, D Treacy 0-3 (two frees), B O'Rorke 1-2; N McMorrow, P Garbutt 1-0, W Brogan 0-3. Subs: A McMullan 0-1for Mooney (20 mins); K O'Loughlin for Garbutt (42 mins); E McCabe 0-1for McMorrow (50 mins); R O'Loughlin for Brogan (59 mins); M Jordan for Schutte (60 mins).

KILKENNY: C McGrath; C Fogarty, K Mooney, E Malone; J Fitzpatrick, P Murphy 1-0, D Langton; C McQuillan, M Fagan, M Bergin 0-5 (two frees, one '65), M Murphy 0-2, A Stapleton 0-1; S Brennan 0-2, D Walton, J Brennan. Subs: J Nolan for J Brennan (27 mins); T Breen for Walton (39 mins); S Waugh for Stapleton (51 mins); O Walsh for McQuillan (55 mins

Referee: A Stapleton(Laois).