Carberry well pleased with Bobbyjo's run


Bobbyjo remains 12 to 1 favourite with bookmaker Cashmans to repeat last year's Martell Grand National triumph after competing over hurdles at Leopardstown yesterday.

Although only fifth to the 9 to 1 winner Chase The Lightnin in the two-and-a-half-mile Harcourt Handicap Hurdle, Bobbyjo showed plenty of enthusiasm before being outpaced and beaten by a total of 15 lengths.

"Bobbyjo should be tuned up now for Aintree as he was about 90 per cent ready and a racecourse spin is all we need now," said trainer Tommy Carberry.

"Philip got a good blow into the horse. We're looking forward to Liverpool and I expect Paul to be back fully fit long before then," Carberry snr added.

Papillon also showed plenty of life in the contest for another father and son team - Ted and Ruby Walsh - finishing well five lengths back in third. "Papillon is in both the Irish Grand National and the Martell Grand National and it depends what his American owner Betty Moran wants him to run in although I don't think she's too keen on Aintree," said the trainer.

Ruby Walsh continued his splendid strike rate since returning from almost six months out of action through injury as he recorded a double to share the riding honours with Carberry.

Champion jockey Ruby and his father teamed up with Bushman's River (13 to 2) to floor odds-on favourite Champagne Native in the Careysfort Hurdle. And the rider doubled up on Killultagh Storm who defeated favourite China Tealeaf in the Powers Gold Label Handicap Hurdle qualifier.

Carberry showed he is a star of the future as he scored over fences on both the 7 to 2 joint favourite Tyndarius in the Silchester Handicap Chase and Beeper's Gale (9 to 1) in the Kilgobbin Beginners Chase.

Young amateur John Daniel Moore, son of trainer Arthur, was taken to a local hospital following a nasty fall in the concluding bumper. Soon after half way in the Glasthule Flat Race, Moore's mount Klohho ducked out through a temporary running rail and Moore was knocked unconscious.

"John Daniel regained consciousness before he was removed to St Vincent's Hospital where he is being admitted on a spinal stretcher wearing a surgical collar. He is stood down for a mandatory 21 days." explained the Turf Club's medical officer Walter Halley.