US singer Chaka Khan in rehab over prescription drug addiction
Grammy-winning performer is battling problem with same drug that killed Prince
Grammy-winning singer Chaka Khan has said she has been battling an addiction to the same medication that led to Prince’s death. An autopsy found Prince died of an overdose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller. File photograph: Getty Images
US singer Chaka Khan and her sister have entered a drug rehabilitation programme to battle their addictions to prescription drugs.
The soul singer says the death of her friend Prince helped hasten her decision to get help.
In a statement, the 63-year-old Grammy-winning singer said she has been battling an addiction to the same medication that led to Prince’s death.
Prince was found dead at his Minnesota home on April 21st last. An autopsy found he died of an overdose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller.
“Unfortunately, I will miss concert appearances over the summer,” she said.
“However, it’s vital that I put my health and wellbeing first. I know that I am disappointing some of my fans, but I also know they would want me to recover and be well and healthy.”
Khan said the pair “agreed we would take this journey together and support each other through the recovery”.
She added: “The tragic death of Prince has had us both rethinking and re-evaluating our lives and priorities.
“We knew it was time to take action to save our lives. My sister and I would like to thank everyone for their support, love and prayers.”
Khan covered Prince’s song I Feel For You, which became one of her biggest hits. The two were long-time friends.