Woman dies in Cork hotel gas leak

 

One woman has died and five others are in hospital following a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a hotel in Co Cork.

The dead woman, who is in her 30s, was found in a bedroom of the Trident Hotel in Kinsale at about 1pm.

Another woman understood to have been sharing the room was taken to Cork University Hospital where she is said to be in a serious condition.

Fire and rescue crews, using breathing apparatus, took a number of other people from the hotel who were unconscious or suffering from breathing difficulties.

Two more women were taken to CUH, while two other people were admitted to the hospital after presenting themselves complaining of feeling unwell.

Gardaí have cordoned off the hotel and are carrying out a technical examination.

The Health and Safety Authority has been notified.