Suspended sentence for attacking women


A MAN who punched three women and stamped on one of them has been given a suspended sentence. CCTV images played at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court showed Glen Humphrey knocking one of the women to the floor and then stamping on her body.

Humphrey (24), Finn Eber Fort, Finglas, pleaded guilty to assaulting Anne Marie Murphy in a Finglas fast-food restaurant on September 27th, 2009. Two other charges of assault causing harm to Carolann McMahon and Donna Byrne were taken into consideration by Judge Martin Nolan.

Humphrey made his plea after a jury had been sworn in. He was sentenced to three years by Judge Nolan, who suspended the full sentence on condition that Humphrey paid €12,000 to Ms Murphy.

The court heard Ms Murphy would not accept compensation and that a civil action was pending. Judge Nolan gave her a month to decide if she would take the money. He indicated that it would otherwise go to charity.

Judge Nolan had adjourned sentencing last week after describing the €3,000 brought to court by Humphrey as a “miserable” expression of remorse.

Garda Keith McGrath told Fiona Murphy, prosecuting, that the three women were walking to an Abrakebabra restaurant after a night out when they passed another group. Humphrey was in this group and said one of the women deserved to be spat on because she was wearing white on a night out.

Ms Murphy went to Humphrey’s group to speak to them about his earlier comment. Shortly after, he approached Ms McMahon at the counter and punched her, knocking her to the floor, and then he stamped on her. He then punched Ms Murphy and Ms Byrne.

Humphrey has six previous convictions and received an eight-month sentence in 2007 for assault causing harm.

Olan Callahan, defending, said Humphrey was the captain of Tolka Rovers and had played with Shelbourne youths and the Bohemians under-21 teams. He spent every weekend coaching youth football. Two months after the assaults, Humphrey began alcohol and anger-management counselling, Mr Callahan said.