Police call off search of Creggan

Security forces called off yet another search in the Creggan area of Derry yesterday, the third over the weekend.

Security forces called off yet another search in the Creggan area of Derry yesterday, the third over the weekend.

The operation began on Friday but was called off on Friday "night and resumed again on Saturday. The second search was called off on Saturday night, but security forces moved in again yesterday afternoon.

An RUC spokesman said they were searching for an explosive device in the area. Last night the RUC said the operation had been terminated and in the situation would be reviewed today. "Nothing has been found to date," the spokesman said.

  • Join The Irish Times on WhatsApp and stay up to date

  • Sign up for push alerts to get the best breaking news, analysis and comment delivered directly to your phone

  • Listen to In The News podcast daily for a deep dive on the stories that matter