Order restrains work on site of former hospital

An order restraining work on the site of the former St Anne's Hospital in Dublin was granted by the High Court yesterday

An order restraining work on the site of the former St Anne's Hospital in Dublin was granted by the High Court yesterday. Dublin Corporation had complained that a protected building on the site had been substantially demolished in breach of planning permission, and others were at risk.

Mr Justice Kelly granted the interim order, returnable to Monday, to Ms Carol O'Farrell, for Dublin Corporation, who said certain works being carried out by Park Developments Limited (PDL), Glencairn, Dublin, on the site were in breach of planning permission.

The order restrains any works being carried out other than safety works directed by the city architect, Mr James Barrett .

Counsel said PDL was the owner and developer of the former St Anne's Hospital site, 610 Northbrook Road, Dublin.

The company had secured planning permission from An Bord Pleanala on January 11th, 2000, to carry out a mixed development of office and residential buildings. Preliminary building and demolition works had begun but, following complaints, those works were inspected by the Corporation's planning enforcement officer who found that No 7, a protected structure, had been substantially demolished without planning permission. The demolition might further endanger other protected buildings on the site, Ms O'Farrell said.

  • Join The Irish Times on WhatsApp and stay up to date

  • Sign up for push alerts to get the best breaking news, analysis and comment delivered directly to your phone

  • Listen to In The News podcast daily for a deep dive on the stories that matter