Plumbing contractor further remanded over Cork hotel death

Woman died from carbon monoxide poisoning following a gas leak in Kinsale

The Trident Hotel in Kinsale, where Miriam Reidy died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2011. Photograph: Google Maps

The Trident Hotel in Kinsale, where Miriam Reidy died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2011. Photograph: Google Maps

 

A book of evidence is expected to be completed within two weeks in the case of a contractor charged with the manslaughter of a woman who died from carbon monoxide poisoning following a gas leak in a Co Cork hotel.

Richard Davis (44), a heating and Plumbing contractor with an address at Serenity, Killanully, Ballygarvan, Co Cork appeared today at Kinsale District Court charged with the manslaughter of Miriam Reidy (35) at the Trident Hotel in Kinsale on January 9th, 2011.

State Solicitor for West Cork, Malachy Boohig said the book of evidence in the case was quite large and technical but his colleague, State Solicitor for South Cork John Brosnan, expected to have it ready for service in a fortnight’s time.

Mr Boohig applied to have the matter adjourned until October 3rd and Judge James McNulty, granted the application, remanding Mr Davis on continuing bail to appear again at Kinsale District Court.

Mr Davis is also charged as a director of Davis Heating and Plumbing Contractors with two breaches of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 relating to the conversion of a gas boiler at the Trident Hotel on January 4th 2011.

Mr Davis’s company, Davis Heating and Plumbing Contractors of Marina Commercial Park, Cork is charged with two similar breaches of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 again relating to the conversion of a gas boiler at the Trident.

The charges follow an investigation into the death of Ms Reidy, from Ballyhahill, Co Limerick, who was one of a group of 25 friends attending a hen party weekend for her cousin Marie Reidy in Kinsale when the tragedy happened.

Ms Reidy was staying in Room 113 in the Trident Hotel with her sister Patricia, who also took ill and was taken to Cork University Hospital where she spent over a week before she was eventually discharged.

In June 2011, an inquest into the death of Ms Reidy, who worked with AIB in Killarney, was opened by the Coroner for West Cork, Frank O’Connell. Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margot Bolster gave evidence that Ms Reidy died from acute carbon monoxide poisoning.