Women in some of Dwyer’s video clips were ‘professional’, murder trial hears

Counsel questions detective about garda leaks to media during architect’s time in custody

Some of the women in video clips found on Graham Dwyer's hard drive were "professional", a jury has been told at the Central Criminal Court.

Det Sgt Peter Woods, who led the investigation, agreed with Remy Farrell SC, for the prosecution, that the women came from different walks of life, “some professional, some not”.

Mr Farrell added that by “professional” he did not mean “ladies of negotiable affection”. He also said the clips included a “blond-haired English woman”. Det Sgt Woods agreed.

The detective was also asked if the video clips shown to the jury earlier this week, of Mr Dwyer having sex with Elaine O'Hara and other women, were the "most explicit" of the clips found on Mr Dwyer's external hard drive.


“There are others of a similar nature, but I agree with what you’re saying,” Det Sgt Woods responded.

He also said one of the videos of Mr Dwyer alone showed him stabbing himself with a fake knife and using “tomato ketchup”. Det Sgt Woods agreed.

Counsel asked about the video showing Mr Dwyer strangling Ms O’Hara during sex. He suggested it involved depriving the brain of oxygen to improve sensation. He said famous pop stars partook in it.

“I think I heard something about that,” Det Sgt Woods said.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt remarked “some MPs” had reportedly been involved as well, “perhaps even judges”.

Mr Dwyer (42), an architect from Kerrymount Close in Foxrock, is charged with murdering childcare worker Ms O’Hara (36) on August 22nd, 2012. He has pleaded not guilty.

Ms O’ Hara’s remains were found in forestry on Kilakee Mountain, Rathfarnham, on September 13th, 2013.

Mr Farrell cross-examined Det Sgt Woods about the interviews carried out by gardaí with Mr Dwyer after his arrest on October 17th, 2013. The interviews, undertaken over a 24-hour period, were read to the jury on Wednesday and Thursday.


Mr Farrell asked Det Sgt Woods about interview techniques and whether there had been any attempt “to engage in subterfuge”.

“I don’t think so,” Det Sgt Woods said.

Mr Farrell said in some cases, gardaí tell people they have information they don’t have, using “every trick in the book”.

“I don’t do that – in my training it’s not allowed,” Det Sgt Woods responded.

Mr Farrell said Mr Dwyer’s solicitor, Jonathan Dunphy, sought information about what Mr Dwyer would be asked, but the detective would not supply it.

Det Sgt Woods said he knew some gardaí gave information to solicitors in advance of questioning, but he wanted an “uncontaminated account” from Mr Dwyer.

Counsel questioned the detective about garda leaks to media during Mr Dwyer’s custody. He said the national media seemed to be “extraordinarily well-informed” either by one garda on a phone or by “a number of gardaí acting as snouts”.

Det Sgt Woods said he thought it was disgraceful that the information was out there and it didn’t help the investigation. Asked what he did about the leaks, he replied “nothing”.

“I had more important things to do,” he said, including interviewing Mr Dwyer and preparing to interview him.

‘Funny business’

Mr Farrell also suggested there had been some “funny business” in connection with the case. He asked Det Sgt Woods if he was aware his superior, Chief Supt Diarmuid O’Sullivan, had gone “rummaging through Graham Dwyer’s bins” on September 27th. He took a tin of turtle wax and matched the DNA from it with DNA found on the mattress in Ms O’Hara’s apartment and then did not pass on the information.

The detective said he did not know that had happened until weeks after the arrest.

Mr Farrell described the incident as “extraordinary” and asked Det Sgt Woods if he ever heard of a chief superintendent going “dumpster diving”. The detective said the superintendent was “very hands on”.

Also giving evidence, Garda Darren Kerins said he timed car journeys from various locations. These included trips from Mr Dwyer’s workplace to Quinn’s Road, close to Shanaganagh Park, where Ms O’Hara was last seen. He agreed with Annemarie Lawlor, for the prosecution, that the road permitted access to the shore alongside the park. He said the journey took him 38 minutes.

He also drove a route from Kilakee Mountain to Mr Dwyer’s home at Kerrymount Close, via the Roundwood reservoir, taking 55 minutes. Another route involved Carrickmines to Kilakee, in 19 minutes, and a fourth involved Quinn’s Road to Kilakee, in 28 minutes.

The garda said he walked from Shanganagh Cemetery car park, where Ms O’Hara’s car was found, to the footbridge, where she was last seen, taking 11 minutes, and from the foot bridge to the shoreline, taking five minutes.

Sean Guerin SC told the court the case for the prosecution had concluded. The defence is expected to begin its case at 11.30am on Wednesday.

Fiona Gartland

Fiona Gartland

Fiona Gartland is a crime writer and former Irish Times journalist