Dublin man (24) jailed for life over ‘unexplained’ murder

Raymond Walsh has not said why he killed Kevin Molloy in his home in Cabra in 2015

A 24-year-old man has been sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to the unexplained murder of a stranger in the victim’s home.

Raymond Walsh, with an address at Carnlough Road, Cabra West in Dublin, was before the Central Criminal Court on Monday charged with murdering Kevin Molloy (41) nearly three years ago.

Walsh was due to go on trial for the murder earlier this month but he pleaded guilty to murdering Mr Molloy at Glendhu Road in Cabra on a date between January 23rd and February 1st, 2015.

Det Inspector Thomas Lynch told the court Mr Molloy lived alone and having not heard from him for some time, his father, Bartley Molloy, called to the property.


He found his son, who had suffered head injuries, dead in the house, the garda said.

Det Insp Lynch told Gerry Clarke SC, prosecuting, that fingerprint and DNA evidence linked Walsh, who had no previous convictions, to the house.

“Over five interviews, the accused denied being in the house at all times and has never given an explanation as to why he was in the house,” he said of Walsh.

Kevin Molloy’s father, Bartley Molloy, read a victim impact statement on behalf of his family. He described Kevin as being loving to his family. He said he was generous, kind and private and that’s how the family would like him to be remembered.

Completely innocent

He said his son was a completely innocent person, who did absolutely nothing to deserve what had happened to him. He said nobody would ever realise the trauma the family had gone through ‘on that fateful day’.

“To think that we went to see him and will never see him is heartbreaking,” he said. “We never got a chance to say goodbye.”

He thanked An Garda Síochána, the Forensic Science Laboratory and the Support after Homicide and AdVIC groups for their hard work and support

Patrick Gageby SC, defending, told the court his client wanted to express his sorrow and remorse for what had happened.

“He is deeply sorry and it’s that desire not to cause any further distress that informed his decision to plead guilty,” he said.

Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy sentenced Walsh, who has been in custody since October 7th, 2015, to life in prison.