Drop egg soup
Drop Egg Soup and Courgette Bread.Photograph: Alan Betson
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Course: Starter
- Cuisine: Fusion
- (Serves 4)
- 50ml olive oil
- 225g carrots, sliced
- 2 bunches spring onions, chopped
- 1 whole head of garlic, peeled
- 1 litre chicken/beef/vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 pack sugar snap peas, whole
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 50g finely grated Parmesan
- bunch of mint and basil (about 40g altogether), chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
This soup starts off with a bit of cooking, but the whole point of it is that most of the veg in it “cooks” only slightly in the stock.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and, over a medium heat, sweat the carrots, spring onions and garlic together until soft. Season well.
Add the stock and simmer for five minutes or so. Then remove from the heat and add the miso, sugar snaps and asparagus. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, egg yolks and Parmesan, and add to the soup while stirring. The soup will thicken. Five minutes before serving, add the chopped fresh herbs and lemon juice, and stir well. Season again as required and serve with courgette bread.