Tipperary finally claim crown


Munster Under-21 Football Final - Tipperary 1-7 Kerry 1-6:TIPPERARY CAUSED a major shock at Austin Stack Park in Tralee last night when they claimed the under-21 provincial football crown in a dramatic final. Kerry had already claimed 21 Munster titles, while Tipp had never won in their previous nine attempts in finals, so there was much rejoicing at the final whistle.

Despite playing against the icy wind, Kerry got off to a dream start with a goal in the seventh minute when Barry Shanahan picked up a breaking ball and sent Mikey Geaney racing down the left. He fed Barry John Walsh who put Paul Geaney through and he rounded the goalkeeper.

Tipperary were having serious problems coping with Kerry’s ploy of playing corner forward Daithí Casey as a third midfielder and his pace caused the visitors difficulties at the back.

The home side carried the ball well against the wind with Casey carving open the Tipp defence with searing runs in the 14th and 15th minutes which resulted in points from Edmund Walsh and Paul Geaney as Kerry led 1-2 to 0-1 at the end of the opening quarter.

Then, in the 26th minute, Tipperary were right back in the game thanks a goal that was superbly carved by man-of-the-match Peter Acheson whose 30-metre crossfield pass found corner back Donal Lynch unmarked and he put Bernard O’Brien through, who blasted the ball to the Kerry net.

Alan Moloney then gave Tipp the lead with a left-footed point and then added another from a free in injury-time as Tipperary led 1-4 to 1-2 at the interval.

Kerry made a bright start to the second half and were level inside the opening 10 minutes with points from Barry John Keane, from a free, and a great effort from substitute Pa Curtin.

Kerry were now on top as Tipp were forced to defend in numbers and Keane gave the Kingdom the lead from a 40-metre free.

Tipperary were back on level terms in the 47th minute when Seán Carey got their first score of the second half.

Then, after three wides from Kerry, Shane Egan gave Tipp the lead in the 53rd minute and doubled their advantage three minutes later.

Barry John Keane went for goal when a point was on and, despite a Barry John Walsh 58th-minute point, Tipperary held out for a historic night for football in the Premier County, who are managed by Kerry man John Evans.

TIPPERARY:K Kenrick; R Kiely, C McDonald, D Lynch; P O’Dwyer, J Coghlan, D O’Dwyer; A Moloney (0-2, one free), P Acheson; S Carey (0-2, frees), B O’Brien (1-0), A Matassa; C Sweeney (0-1, free), B O’Meara, M O’Dwyer. Subs:S Egan (0-2) for B O’Meara (half-time); T Hanley for B O’Brien (50 mins).

KERRY:T Mac an tSaoir; P Crowley, K O’Connor, B McGuire; P O’Connor, B Shanahan, J Lyne; J Buckley, E Walsh (0-1); P O’Donoghue, BJ Keane (0-2, frees), M Geaney; D Casey, BJ Walsh (0-1, free), P Geaney (1-1). Subs:P Curtin (0-1) for P ODonoghue (36 mins); G O’Keefe for M Geaney (48 mins).

Referee: C Lane (Cork).

Tipperary's Record in Munster U-21 FC Finals

1964 Kerry 0-15 Tipperary 1-2

1965 Cork 2-14 Tipperary 1-6

1986 Cork 0-8 Tipperary 0-7

1987 Kerry 0-7 Tipperary 0-7

Replay - Kerry 0-15 Tipperary 1-11

1998 Kerry 3-10 Tipperary 1-11

2007 Cork 3-19 Tipperary 3-12

2008 Kerry 0-15 Tipperary 2-7

2009 Cork 1-9 Tipperary 2-5

2010 Tipperary 1-7 Kerry 1-6