Rolf Harris charged with indecent assault of teenagers

Veteran entertainer faces nine counts of indecent assault and four of making indecent images of a child

Rolf Harris (83), is accused of indecent assault offences between 1980 and 1986 relating to two alleged victims, who were aged 14 and 15 at the time, the Crown Prosecution Service said. Photograph: Fiona Hanson/PA Wire

Rolf Harris (83), is accused of indecent assault offences between 1980 and 1986 relating to two alleged victims, who were aged 14 and 15 at the time, the Crown Prosecution Service said. Photograph: Fiona Hanson/PA Wire

 

Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris was charged today with nine counts of indecent assault and four counts of making indecent images of a child, the Crown Prosecution Service said today.

The 83-year-old is accused of the indecent assault offences between 1980 and 1986 relating to two alleged victims, who were aged 14 and 15 at the time, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

The offences of making indecent images of a child related to the period March to July 2012.

Alison Saunders, chief crown prosecutor for CPS London, said: “We have carefully considered the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police Service as part of Operation Yewtree in relation to Rolf Harris, who was initially arrested on November 29, 2012, over allegations of sexual offences.

“A file of evidence was passed to the CPS on August 12, 2013.

“Having completed our review, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Harris to be charged with nine counts of indecent assault and four of making indecent images of a child. The alleged indecent assaults date from 1980 to 1986 and relate to two complainants aged 14 and 15 at the time of the alleged offending.”

Mr Harris will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 23rd next.

Mr Harris was originally interviewed by detectives from Scotland Yard’s Operation Yewtree in November and was then arrested over allegations of sexual impropriety in March

Mr Harris, an enduring family favourite in the UK who was made a CBE in the 2006 queen’s birthday honours, is one of several people arrested under Operation Yewtree, the British investigation prompted by allegations against late broadcaster Jimmy Savile.

He was interviewed under caution on November 29th last year, five days after a search warrant was executed at his home in Berkshire.

The Australian-born entertainer was also appointed officer of the Order of Australia in the queen’s birthday honours list last year. He was recognised for his service to the performing and visual arts, to charitable organisations and to international relations through the promotion of Australian culture.

His pop hits include Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport and Two Little Boys, and he also painted an official portrait of the queen for her 80th birthday.