Welfare 'not linked to charge'

Fri, Sep 21, 2012, 01:00

Failure to pay the household charge will not put social welfare payments at risk, the Department of Social Protection has confirmed.

Concerns that the State may draw a link between compliance with the charge and payment of a social welfare benefit were sparked after letters were sent by the department in relation to a new Public Services Card.

The letter asks that social welfare claimants attend an appointment to register for the new card which will replace the current Social Services Card.

Claimants must bring evidence of their address to the appointment, the letter lists “Receipt for payment of Household Charge” as one acceptable proof of address.

Gisela Schubert, from Arklow Co Wicklow, who received one of the letters, said it appeared from the way it was worded that if one was a homeowner, and not a tenant, one must present proof of household charge payment.

“The letter states that you can produce either a property lease, tenancy agreement, or the household charge receipt, but if you own your house you won’t have the first two.”

Another point in the letter suggests a bill showing the claimants current address should be brought, but Ms Schubert said “they don’t ask for proof I’ve paid the bill”.

Niamh McDonald of the Campaign Against Household and Water Taxes said the letter was a “sneaky underhand tactic” to frighten people into paying the charge.

“This is another example of the Government preying on the most vulnerable in our society, and it shows their desperation that they have not been able to get the information they need to introduce a property tax.”

In a statement, the department said receipt for payment of the household charge is “not a pre-condition to secure a Social Welfare payment”.

A utility bill in the person’s own name was an acceptable alternative proof of address.

“The Department of Social Protection wishes to reassure it customers that payment of household charge is not a requirement for payment of a Social Welfare entitlement or registration for a Public Services Card.”

Sign In

Forgot Password?

Sign Up

The name that will appear beside your comments.

Have an account? Sign In

Forgot Password?

Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In or Sign Up

Thank you

You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.

Hello, .

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

Thank you for registering. Please check your email to verify your account.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.