HSE introduces system changes in wake of Savita Halappanavar inquest

New measures include early warning system and educating staff about septic shock

Savita Halappanavar and her husband Praveen in Galway.

Savita Halappanavar and her husband Praveen in Galway.

Wed, May 29, 2013, 01:20

The HSE has begun implementing a number of system changes recommended at the Savita Halappanavar inquest.

The introduction of an early warning system and educating staff about septic shock are now under way.

Tony Canavan, chief operating officer of the Galway-Roscommon Hospital Group, said the HSE had already moved to introduce the changes even before the inquest began.

“These measures included the implementation of the early warning system; the education of all staff in the recognition, monitoring and management of sepsis and septic shock and the introduction of a new multidisciplinary team-based training programme for all obstetric emergencies,” he told Regional Health Forum West yesterday. “We have also improved communication processes and we will be implementing new procedures for doctors and nurses.

“As you are aware, most of the coroner’s recommendations apply at a national level and a number will have to be considered in light of recommendations from the other two investigations.”

Mr Canavan said they intended to take on board all three sets of recommendations. “But in the meantime let me assure the 3,500 mothers who attend our hospital every year that we have already implemented the key safety measures as described.”