Call for car parking fees at out-of-town shopping centres

An Taisce proposes charge of 50 cent an hour for currently free car parking

Thu, Sep 19, 2013, 08:53

A charge of 50 cent an hour for currently free car parking at out-of-town shopping centres could raise more than €16 million a year, with the revenue used to support town centres and local public transport services, according to An Taisce.

If the levy was applied at six of the largest retail outlets on the edges of Dublin, Cork and Limerick, it could raise €16.68 million, of which 85 per cent would go to local government and the remaining 15 per cent to the exchequer.

In a pre-budget submission to the Department of Finance, the trust has also called for Vat on bicycles to be reduced from 23 per cent to zero so they would be more affordable for low-income families.

Among measures An Taisce would like to see in the budget on October 15th is a proposal that any new tax on derelict sites in urban areas should include a surcharge on sites being used for surface parking.

It also wants public transport procurement guidelines to be reformed, so hybrid electric buses could be added to the Dublin Bus fleet. At present, hybrid buses account for 5 per cent of London’s fleet, with plans to increase this to 20 per cent by 2016.

Sign In

Forgot Password?

Sign Up

The name that will appear beside your comments.

Have an account? Sign In

Forgot Password?

Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In or Sign Up

Thank you

You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.

Hello, .

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

Thank you for registering. Please check your email to verify your account.

We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.