Callinan to stay for two further years

Wed, Nov 14, 2012, 00:00

Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan will stay on in his position for two years after he was due to retire on age grounds next summer.

The Cabinet yesterday approved the two-year extension to his term after the move was proposed by Minister for Justice and Defence Alan Shatter.

Mr Callinan took over as the head of the force on the retirement of Fachtna Murphy in December 2010. He turns 60 next August and was due then to retire on age grounds.

However, his retirement has now been pushed back until August 2015.

Mr Shatter said he was pleased with the move, adding that Mr Callinan had overseen radical and extensive change during his brief term to date.

A highly effective police force was being maintained at a time of pressure on resources and continuity of leadership was valuable.

Mr Shatter also noted that recorded crime had been dropping consistently in recent years.

“Week in, week out, the activities of gangs have been tackled and this has been reflected in very substantial drugs seizures,” the Minister said.

Criminal terrorist groups continued to be addressed robustly, he added.