Dinny Corcoran books Bohemians’ place in quarter-final draw

Result harsh on Cork who enjoyed good possession

Cork City’s Liam Kearney has the ball nicked off him by Karl Moore of Bohemian at Dalynount Park. Photograph: Donall Farmer/Inpho

Cork City’s Liam Kearney has the ball nicked off him by Karl Moore of Bohemian at Dalynount Park. Photograph: Donall Farmer/Inpho


BOHEMIANS 1, CORK CITY0 Having thought he’d done it with both goals in last Friday’s 2-2 draw at Turner’s Cross, Dinny Corcoran’s lone strike finally proved sufficient at Dalymount Park last night as Bohemians booked their place in this evening’s quarter-final draw.

The result was harsh on Cork who enjoyed good possession, but who could find no way past Dean Delany who made a string of exceptional saves.

Cork’s Mark McNulty was the first keeper to be really worked when he went full stretch to push Kevin Devaney’s drive round a post on eight minutes.

With the visitors passing it well and enjoying the better possession, though, Striker Mark O’Sullivan brought a fine save from Delany on 27 minutes. Despite being the better side, however, Cork found themselves behind to what proved the game’s only goal on 39 minutes.


Roberto Lopes overlapped on the right after Devaney held the ball up well. The low cross was struck by Jason Byrne with the ball deflected towards Corcoran who got a touch to force it in at the back post.

Cork were close to levelling when Delany did well to parry away Garry Buckley’s shot on the turn. Delany and the woodwork then deprived Cork. Billy Dennehy’s tenacious run got him in behind to shoot. Delany parried but the ball ricocheted off Dennehy to come back and hit a post.

Bohemians’ keeper was there once more to thwart Cork with perhaps the save of the game on 81 minutes from Gearoid Morrisey and again Delany was there to save from Colin Healy’s free kick at the death. BOHEMIANS: Delany; Lopes, D. Byrne (Walsh, 26), Price, Pender; Devaney, Mulcahy, Wearen, Moore (Buckley, 90+1); Byrne (Evans, 66), Corcoran. CORK CITY: McNulty; Kavanagh (Kearney, 79), Murray, D. Dennehy, Dunleavy; Healy; O’Shea (D. Morrissey, h-t), G. Morrissey, Buckley, B. Dennehy; O’Sullivan (Morrison, 63). Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin).

Sign In

Forgot Password?

Sign Up

The name that will appear beside your comments.

Have an account? Sign In

Forgot Password?

Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In or Sign Up

Thank you

You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.

Hello, .

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

Thank you for registering. Please check your email to verify your account.

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.