John Heitinga rejects move to West Ham United

Sam Allardyce suffers another setback as well as sitting second from bottom of the Premier League

Everton’s John Heitinga: has rejected a proposed move to West Ham United

Everton’s John Heitinga: has rejected a proposed move to West Ham United

Fri, Jan 3, 2014, 01:00

Sam Allardyce has suffered a setback in his efforts to strengthen West Ham United after John Heitinga rejected a proposed move from Everton.

The West Ham manager had been confident of signing the versatile Holland international after a deal was agreed between the two clubs. But the 30-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of the season and has not played a minute of Premier League football under the Everton manager, Roberto Martinez, was unconvinced about joining the relegation-threatened club.

In a statement released by his agents, Sport Promotion, Heitinga, who is among the highest earners at Everton, said that the West Ham move was not the right step for him.

Current struggle
The Sport Promotion statement referred to West Ham’s current struggle in the Premier League – they are 19th after the New Year’s Day defeat at Fulham – and said Heitinga would consider a move to “another top league in Europe”.

Heitinga has been capped 87 times by the Netherlands, including the 2010 World Cup final when he was sent off against Spain, and admits he needs to leave Goodison Park to revive his international career before this summer’s World Cup in Brazil.

The former Ajax and Atletico Madrid player added: “I want to play in every game again because I still have a huge appetite for the ball. I am fit and, as a footballer, in the prime of my life.

“Moreover, I would like to go to the World Cup in Brazil. I know that coach Louis van Gaal has the condition that the players he selects are playing every week. This is not happening at Everton.”
Guardian Service