Kevin Spacey ‘seeking treatment’ over sexual misconduct claims

Director Brett Ratner says will ‘step away’ from work with Warner Bros amid claims

Actor Kevin Spacey arriving for the season four premiere  of the Netflix show House of Cards in Washington, DC, in February last year. Production of  season six of the show has been suspended  in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against Spacey. File photograph: Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images

Actor Kevin Spacey arriving for the season four premiere of the Netflix show House of Cards in Washington, DC, in February last year. Production of season six of the show has been suspended in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against Spacey. File photograph: Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images

 

Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey is seeking unspecified treatment, according to his representatives, following allegations of sexual misconduct that have forced a halt in production of his Netflix show “House of Cards” and a social media backlash.

“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” his representatives said in a statement late on Wednesday.

No details on the nature of the treatment were provided. An email seeking further comment was not returned.

Spacey over the weekend apologised to actor Anthony Rapp, who had accused the Hollywood star of trying to seduce him in 1986, when Rapp was 14.

Conflate issues

As part of his apology, Spacey also announced he was gay, but angered many in the LGBT community and beyond who saw his announcement as an effort to divert attention from the disclosure by Rapp, or to somehow conflate the issues of homosexuality and paedophilia.

Rapp said on his Twitter feed at the weekend that he would have no further comment.

Streaming service Netflix, saying it was “deeply troubled” by Rapp’s allegation, subsequently said production of the upcoming sixth season of its Golden Globe-winning political drama House of Cards, in which Spacey plays US president Frank Underwood, was being suspended and that the show would end after the sixth season.

It was not clear on Thursday whether the sixth season of the show would go ahead after Spacey’s decision to seek treatment.

‘A positive step’

“We view Kevin seeking treatment as a positive step. We continue to take this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the production and have nothing further to share at this time,” Netflix and producer Media Rights Capital said in a statement after Wednesday’s announcement.

Spacey’s announcement follows harassment allegations against him this week by two other men – Mexican actor Roberto Cavazos, who worked in the London theatre where Spacey was artistic director from 2004-2015, and US filmmaker Tony Montana.

Reuters was unable to independently confirm any of the accusations.

Spacey is among a number of prominent entertainment figures who have been accused of sexual misconduct in recent weeks.

Ratner to ‘step away’

Meanwhile, film director Brett Ratner has announced he will “step away” from work with Warner Bros after the Los Angeles Times reported claims by six women that he had subjected them to sexual harassment or misconduct.

Allegations against the Rush Hour director (48) included claims made by actresses Natasha Henstridge and Olivia Munn.

Ratner and RatPac-Dune Entertainment, the production and financing company that he is a partner with, have deals with Warner Bros.

In a statement, a representative for Ratner said: “In light of the allegations being made, I am choosing to personally step away from all Warner Bros-related activities.

“I don’t want to have any possible negative impact to the studio until these personal issues are resolved.”

Species and The Whole Nine Yards actress Henstridge alleges she was subjected to sexual harassment by Ratner in the early 1990s.

Henstridge (43), said the alleged encounter happened when she was 19 years old and Ratner was in his early 20s.

Munn, who is known for appearing in TV series The Newsroom and films including X-Men: Apocalypse and Magic Mike, accused Ratner of sexual misconduct on the set of his film After The Sunset in 2004, which she was visiting as an aspiring actor.

Munn (37), previously wrote of the alleged encounter in a collection of essays published in 2010, but did not name Ratner at the time.

‘Reviewing the situation’

Before Ratner’s statement a spokesman for Warner Bros said it was aware of the allegations in the LA Times would be “reviewing the situation”.

Sir Kenneth Branagh has dubbed the Hollywood abuse scandal a “horrible wake-up call”.

Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein is the subject of police investigations regarding alleged abuse in London, Los Angeles and New York.

Sir Kenneth, who is directing an adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder On The Orient Express, told ITV show Lorraine: “I think it feels like a sea change.

“It is about the abuse of power and it’s not just (Hollywood) but it’s clearly across other areas and other work places.

“I think it’s a horrible, horrible wake-up call to what has never been acceptable and never can be acceptable and may now, in some profound way, I hope, change for the better.”

Weinstein was due to produce an adaptation of the Artemis Fowl novels by Sir Kenneth, who received one of his five Oscar nominations for a role in a film by the producer. – Reuters/PA