Trial of nun on sex abuse charges to be held in 2013

Wed, May 23, 2012, 01:00

The trial of a nun facing 87 sex abuse charges will take two weeks and be held next year, it was revealed yesterday.

Sligo Circuit Court was told a large number of disclosures had been handed over to the defence by the prosecution since the case was last before the courts in March.

Judge Anthony Hunt said he hoped to be in a position to provide for a hearing next January or February.

A number of people who allege they were victims of the nun were in court for yesterday’s hearing. She was remanded on continuing bail until a sitting of Sligo Circuit Court on October 2nd next but the case will be mentioned again on June 5th.

An earlier hearing was told the alleged offences date to the 1970s. The case was transferred from another county following legal steps taken by the nun. By court order, neither she nor the location of the alleged offences can be identified.