Man remanded over Dublin bus death after altercation on street

Tue, Dec 11, 2012, 00:00

A man appeared in the Dublin District Court yesterday charged in relation to the death of 29-year-old man who was crushed by a bus in Dublin.

Edward Connors, who had been living at Judge Darley House, a hostel in Dublin 7, is accused of manslaughter of Eoghan Dudley at Dawson Street and did not not apply for bail at the brief proceeding yesterday.

Det Garda Conor Ó Braonain told the judge Mr Connors was cautioned and charged at Pearse Street Garda station on Saturday night. In reply, the defendant had said, “I am sorry about him, it was an accident.”

Defence solicitor Cahir O’Higgins asked for legal aid to be granted to his client and for him to get necessary medical attention in custody as he relies on a methadone prescription.

He also said Mr Connors, who is deaf, had difficulty in communicating, and would need the assistance of an interpreter when he is being booked into prison.

Judge David McHugh was furnished with a statement of Mr Connors’ means and he granted free legal aid to him.

Remanded

He was remanded in custody and his next hearing will take place on December 13th.

Eoghan Dudley (28), who was originally from Rathfarnham in the city’s southside,suffered the fatal injuries after an incident at the junction of Dawson Street and Nassau Street when he went under a double decker bus in front of shocked onlookers.

The deceased man had recently been living in rented accommodation in Co Wicklow and was identified two days after his death.