CRC’s former chief executive repays HSE excess salary

Brian Conlan’s pay was at least €40,000 above official salary guidelines

The Central Remedial Clinic’s chief executive Brian Conlon who resigned yesterday has repaid the HSE extra funding he received in excess of official guidelines

The Central Remedial Clinic’s chief executive Brian Conlon who resigned yesterday has repaid the HSE extra funding he received in excess of official guidelines

Wed, Dec 11, 2013, 09:36

The Central Remedial Clinic’s chief executive who resigned yesterday has repaid the HSE extra funding he received in excess of official guidelines.

Brian Conlan, who took over as the clinic’s chief last July, was in receipt of a €125,000 salary until October of this year, though the salary level approved by the HSE was significantly less.

According to internal HSE documents, the approved salary for the CRC’s chief executive post that applied in July was €64,812, though this was later revised upwards to €83,252 in October.

A spokesman for Mr Conlan confirmed today that he reimbursed the HSE for additional payments he received by cheque this morning.

In a statement to The Irish Times, Mr Conlan said he had personally taken steps to ensure his salary met HSE guidelines.

“The position of CRC chief executive came with an annual salary financed entirely from the CRC’s annual funding allocation from the HSE,” he said.

“After I joined I became aware that the HSE had taken issue with the CRC on the value of the salary as it exceeded the recommended payscale for a chief executive of an institution of the CRC’s size.”

Mr Conlan said he made representations to the clinic’s board, requesting its agreement to formally reduce the salary scale for chief executive of the CRC in keeping with the HSE guidelines.

He added: “The board agreed and the revised payscale came into effect from 1st October last. I have taken steps to reimburse the HSE for the value of the net salary I received in excess of their guidelines between July and September.”

A spokesman last night said Mr Conlan did not plan to attend tomorrow’s sitting of the Dáil Public Accounts Committee, which is investigating the issue of top-up fees.

“He has resigned from his post and doesn’t have additional information to bring to the proceedings beyond what is available to the remaining directors . . . There is no onus on him to appear,” Mr Conlan’s spokesman said.

The clinic has been mired in controversy since it emerged that charitable funds were used to top-up the salaries of senior executives.

The Irish Times reported last week that the HSE expressed alarm during the summer over the “highly irregular” manner in which Mr Conlan was appointed, without interviewing external candidates.

In a statement yesterday, Mr Conlan said he had been offered the position of chief executive last July following a selection process conducted by the clinic’s board, with assistance from recruitment consultants.

Mr Conlan has since confirmed that he was a member of the CRC’s board while the selection process took place.

His spokesman today said Mr Conlan was qualified as a member of the board to apply for the position of Chief Executive.

Mr Conlan’s spokesman also claimed he had not received any top-up payments while serving in the position.

However, documents show Mr Conlan’s salary was significantly in excess of official guidelines authorised by the HSE.

Irish Times News



News - direct to your inbox

Which Daily Digest would you like?