Keegan to answer questions over Poolbeg incinerator

Dublin City manager is appearing before the Oireachtas environment committee

Dublin City Council has spent more than €95 million on the incinerator in the past decade.

Dublin City Council has spent more than €95 million on the incinerator in the past decade.

Wed, Jan 22, 2014, 14:07

Dublin City manager Owen Keegan is appearing before the Oireactas environment committee this afternoon to answer questions in relation to the proposed 600,000 tonne Poolbeg incinerator.

In excess of €95 million has been spent by the council over more than 10 years on the incinerator, which remains unbuilt. Some €50 million went on land for the facility on the Poolbeg peninsula, but almost a third of the costs over that period were paid to consultants RPS, which also provided consultancy services to Irish Water.

Mr Keegan, who became city manager last September, last week told city councilors that the contract with RPS was being terminated at the end of this month.

The decision to end the RPS contract was made following the direction of the EU Commission.

The council is awaiting the verdict of the commission on two other complaints against it over its operation of State aid and procurement rules in relation to the development of the plant. Mr Keegan said a decision of whether or not to proceed with the development of the incinerator would be taken once the commission’s ruling was received.