Dublin man acquitted of murder on direction of judge
A Dublin man has been acquitted of murdering another Dublin man on the direction of the trial judge.
Paul Zambra (35), Inagh Road, Ballyfermot, had pleaded not guilty to murdering Seán McMahon (36) five years ago at his home on Donaghmore Avenue, Tallaght.
Mr McMahon was found dead by his partner on November 14th, 2007. He had been shot in his bed.
The trial opened at the Central Criminal Court on Tuesday of last week before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury. However, the jury was then sent away while all sides dealt with a legal issue.
The 12 jurors returned to court yesterday afternoon, when Denis Vaughan Buckley SC, prosecuting, said he was not offering any further evidence in the case. The judge then acceded to a defence request to direct the jury to acquit Mr Zambra.
“From time to time issues of law arise and the jury is asked to withdraw,” said Mr Justice McCarthy. “All that remains before you is the evidence that Mr Buckley called on the first day. It did not, in any way, point the finger at the accused.” If that was the sole evidence, the accused must be acquitted.