Dublin council corruption trial to resume tomorrow
Businessman and four politicians’ trial could continue into August
Former government press secretary Frank Dunlop arriving at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last week. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill/The Irish Times
The corruption trial of a businessman and four politicians will resume tomorrow. After a break of five days the trial of Jim Kennedy and the councillors is set to recommence at the Circuit Criminal Court in Dublin.
Former lobbyist Frank Dunlop had testified Mr Kennedy gave him IR£25,000 in 1991 to bribe the four councillors to vote in favour of rezoning land at Carrickmines.
Mr Kennedy has pleaded not guilty to 16 counts of making corrupt payments to councillors.
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown councillor Tony Fox (72) of Mountainview Park, Churchtown, Dublin and former councillors Colm Mc Grath (56) of Swiftwood, Saggart, Donal Lydon (74) of Santo Antonio, Stillorgan Park Avenue and Liam Cosgrave (57) of Merrion Park, Blackrock, have pleaded not guilty to corruptly receiving money as inducements to rezone lands as industrial.
This morning, Judge Mary Ellen Ring canvassed the jury as to whether they could continue to attend should the trial go on beyond the end of July. She said there was “every possibility” it would still finish by the end of the month, as the jury had previously been told, but she wanted to be sure of the situation as the original timetable “has now been lost”.
After discussion in the jury room, the foreman of the jury, of seven women and four men, said they could continue until August 2nd but some members had difficulties from the bank holiday weekend on.
The judge also told the jury that administrative matters had arisen which meant Mr Dunlop could not resume his evidence until next Monday, July 22nd. However, she said there was work to be done this week which would allow the trial to resume tomorrow.