Boy (13) arrested at Belfast parade

 

A 13-year-old boy was one of three people arrested in Belfast when trouble flared after a loyalist band defied a ruling not to march past a Catholic church.

Seven police officers were injured in yesterday’s disturbances — none seriously.

The Young Conway Volunteers band had been banned from parading past St Patrick’s Church on Donegall Street in the city after being filmed playing an allegedly sectarian song at the spot during July 12th demonstrations.

Violence broke out in the area as the Shankill Road band marched past the church.

A number of bands played music between Clifton Street and Unity Street area, which police also said was a breach of a ruling by the Parades Commission adjudication body.

It is understood police were attacked when they attempted to keep nationalists opposed to the parade and loyalists apart.

Bottles were thrown from both sides during the trouble. A female officer required hospital treatment after sustaining a head injury.

</p> <p>Police today detailed the arrests made.</p> <p>The 13-year-old boy was arrested around 12.15pm in the Donegall Street area on suspicion of riotous behaviour. He was released pending a report to the Public Prosecution Service.</p> <p>At around 5.45pm, a 38-year-old man was arrested in the North Queen Street area on suspicion of disorderly behaviour and provocative conduct.</p> <p>He remained in custody today.</p> <p>Shortly after 6pm, an 18-year-old man was arrested in the Clifton Street area on suspicion of disorderly behaviour and assault on police.</p> <p>He has been charged with both offences and is due to appear at Belfast Magistrates Court on Thursday 20 September.</p> <p>The Parades Commission imposed the restrictions, which were unsuccessfully challenged in the courts, on the band for the Royal Black Institution march.</p> <p>Assistant chief constable Dave Jones, head of the policing operation, yesterday said anyone who defied the ruling will be pursued.</p> <p>“It is our assessment that there have been breaches of the Parades Commission determination and I can assure everyone that we will be working to bring those believed to have breached it before the courts,” he said.</p> <p>“We have gathered the evidence required to do so.”</p> <p>In response to the Parades Commission ruling being defied, a spokesperson for the body said its decision was fair and balanced.</p>