How to be Alexa Chung
Model and fashionista, Alexa Chung, took over a Vogue website for a day – and used it in a very focused fashion
Alexa Chung: ‘People who don’t know who The Cure is shouldn’t be allowed out’. Photograph: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
For those who missed it, Monday was #Alexaday. Alexa Chung, model, TV presenter and all-round fashion icon, took over vogue.co.uk and used it to concentrate minds on a subject dear to her heart: how to be Alexa Chung. From beauty tips to the ultimate playlist to her autumn fashion essentials – fans of Chung could now emulate her in every possible way.
Chung started her modelling career at 16 and went on to become a presenter on Popworld in 2006. Since then she has become a regular on the festival circuit and a contributor to many magazines (including Vogue). She is often seen front row at fashion shows, has a Mulberry bag named after her (it’s called the Alexa) and Anna Wintour has described her as a “phenomenon”. She also, coincidentally, has a book out called It, which she describes as an “image-heavy autobiography”.
So, if following in her footsteps is on your list, here’s our roundup of her top tips:
1) Hair. Alex’s advice is not to brush. “Firstly, because you can indulge any lazy tendencies you may have and secondly because neatness is overrated. Sometimes”, she says, “she washes it and doesn’t touch it to get the ultimate beach head.” And apparently, “It dries curly!”
2) Lipstick. Red. Alexa recommends MAC Lady Danger, because it doesn’t move. Once she “went swimming in a waterfall for an entire day and emerged from the water with a full lip intact.”
3) Music. Listen to Blur when you’re homesick for old Blighty and Donnie and Joe Emmerson when you’re in the bath. Also she is very good at rapping Kayne’s part in Clique, so get practicing.
4) Listen to The Cure. Alexa thinks that “People who don’t know who The Cure is shouldn’t be allowed out.”
5) Read up on your classic Vogue covers. Jean Shrimpton (Alexa’s ultimate dream girl) on the cover in May 1963, and a flower illustration cover from July 1941 are just some of Alexa’s favourites.
6) Get a cat “in lieu of a hot water bottle” this winter.
7) Get a navy jumper. According to Alexa “When it comes to navy blue jumpers the world is your oyster. No fashion brand doesn’t produce one for autumn/winter.”
8) Buy a pair of Tabbitha Simmons flats ($595.00). “They’re classic and black and then she added hundreds of miniature disco balls on the toe. What’s not to love?”. Simmons also sells a pair called the Alexa black velvet, but this could be unrelated.
9) Invest in a blanket. Alexa has “a weird blanket obsession”. Don’t we all?
10) For anything else you need to know, go out and buy Alexa’s new book, It, which focuses mostly on heartbreaks, handbags and photos of her and her pals.