On The Polls – what we’ve learned in the last 10 days
(1) We knew we had to come back to the hustings when not one of our sub-editor friends used “Greens turn yellow” as the headline when Dan Boyle felt a little pang of conscience in his belly the other week. …
(1) We knew we had to come back to the hustings when not one of our sub-editor friends used “Greens turn yellow” as the headline when Dan Boyle felt a little pang of conscience in his belly the other week. It was a pang of conscience, right, and not either a desperate attempt to stem the tide of feck-offery he was getting on the doorsteps or a spot of indigestion.
(2) Declan Ganley is a man who’d start a row in an empty room. I know that the Ireland North-West-And-Parts-Of-Clare-And-A-Bit-Of-Leinster-For-Good-Measure constituency is a humdinger, but every single radio discussion show from there ends with people rowing with or about Silvio. Who knew?
(3) We’re enjoying what Campaign Watch and Irish Election are finding, though this election really calls out for a special war-time edition of The Chancer or someone else with their tongues firmly in the cheeks (of their mouth).
(4) Toys out of the pram moment of the campaign so far? That would be wannabe Green MEP for Dublin Deirdre de Burca who started spitting feathers about Patricia “I used to be Green” McKenna at her press conference. Chief Green John Gormley found something very interesting on the table to look at during that one
(5) Staying Green (hey, why not? Someone has to), Ciaran “from Birkenstocks to Shell stocks” Cuffe and Eamon Ryan are very quiet this weather. Maybe they’re in the garden.
(6) Poster slogan of the campaign? “Had enough of that shower?” from Libertas. I don’t really see what the problem is with the nation’s favourite, the Triton T90, but if Libertas think we need some sort of new-fangled Amazonian rain-forest-style gizmo in our bathrooms and are willing to look after the plumbing and wet room installation in return for a vote, far be it for me to argue with them.
(7) Memo to Labour: Nessa Childers needs to learn how to milk a cow. Think of the photo op.
(8) You read it here first: Fine Gael and Fianna Fail will be canvassing at this week’s Primavera festival in Barcelona which expects over 10,000 Irish fans. Well, it seems like 10,000 from where we’re sitting.
(9) You know this “secret” polling data which Silvio keeps bringing up which has him topping the poll, winning a seat and getting the last Rolo? A source (no, not Naoise) tells us that this data actually contains some or all of the following info: next month’s Lotto numbers, the score in the Champions League final, the Sixth Secret of Fatima, Dick Cheney’s real name, the new Libertas motto (“In Silvio We Trust” was seen as a little too 1930s Italy for comfort) and a recipe for brown bread.
(10) We heart posters like this: Genuine Independent. It’s like indie labels giving out about major label-funded indies (the “mandies”) back in the day. Sorry about the quality of the snap, but it was a dull day in west Wicklow when I spotted it.