EXIT festival – bits and pieces from nights three and four
(1) Ian was fuming about Gogol Bordello wanting 30 of his recession euros for their forthcoming show in Dublin’s Ambassador on December 20. Well dude, if Eugene Hütz and friends are anything like they were when they strormed the main …
(1) Ian was fuming about Gogol Bordello wanting 30 of his recession euros for their forthcoming show in Dublin’s Ambassador on December 20. Well dude, if Eugene Hütz and friends are anything like they were when they strormed the main stage on Saturday night, don’t dare miss it.
(2) The less said, though, about the Sex Pistols, the better. Like the rear end of a pantomine horse.
(3) Then, there were the bands performing on the other stages, bands like Vrelo and Orkestra del Sol and the Pannonia All Stars. No, I’d never heard of them either until I ran into them on one of the two dozen stages, but they were all well worth checking out. Especially Vrelo, who reminded me of Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares albeit Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares after listening to En Vogue
(4) Best DJ name of the entire weekend? That would be Balkan drum’n'brass jock Haris Pilton cutting it up for the masses on one of the stages lodged in the fortress’s former moat.
(5) Best tweaking of the dancefloor? That would be Claude VonStroke. Awesome set from the San Fran Dirtybird dude. The place went bananas when he dropped “Who’s Afraid Of Detroit?”. Just wish he’d also spun the Kevin Saunderson remix.
(6) Hot, hot, hot. It was 28 degrees at 2am on Sunday night/Monday morning.
(7) The Serbs like their heavy industrial sounds as played from behind large wire gates. Ministry, then, went down a treat. Al Jourgensen is in fine fettle. They play their last ever shows at Dublin’s Tripod on July 18 and 19.
(8) Most bottles thrown at the stage during a band’s set? The Hives get the green recycling award. You got to love that garage rock and strutting lead singer Pelle Almqvist.
(9) Best t-shirt slogan of the weekend? At a stall urging people to turn vegetarian (and best of luck with that, pal, in a country which loves its meat like a fat kid loves cake): a cartoon of an angry cow with a speech bubble: “how about I eat you, fucker?”
(10) Next year, EXIT marks its 10th anniversary. Easily the best rock’n'rave fest we’ve been to in years.