John Connaghan

20 results

Work continues at the site of the new national children’s hospital at St James’s Hospital in Dublin. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA Wire

June 2018 Just after lunch on Wednesday, June 20th, last year, the project director of the new national children’s hospital arrived at the Department(...)

A view of the construction site of The National Children’s Hospital. File photograph: Tom Honan/The Irish Times

Senior officials in the Department of Health were aware in September 2018 that the potential cost overruns at the new national children’s hospital wer(...)

Minister for Health Simon Harris (centre) with Ministers of State Finian McGrath and Catherine Byrne at the publication of the   HSE national sevice plan for 2019. Photograph: James Forde/The Irish Times.

The Health Service Executive will have to make at least €80 million in savings next year despite receiving the biggest budget in its history, accordin(...)

HSE director general John Connaghan is to step down from the post at the end of the year. File image: Oireachtas screengrab via PA.

John Connaghan, who became director general of the HSE pending the appointment of a successor to Tony O’Brien, is to step down from the post at the en(...)

An estimated  30,000 people in Ireland are infected with the hepatitis C virus. Photograph: iStock

A treatment programme for people infected with hepatitis C is set to be broadened, the Public Accounts Committee will be told on Thursday. The secret(...)

Fianna Fail health spokesman Stephen Donnelly asked whether anyone had been fired or sanctioned for the ‘catastrophic failures’ of the health system. File Photograph: Brenda Fitzsimons

More than 30,000 patients will be taken off waiting lists this year without ever having seen a doctor, the Oireachtas health committee has been told. (...)

HSE director general John Connaghan told the PAC it had recorded a revenue deficit last year of nearly €140 million. Photograph: PA

The health service is facing a significant financial challenge in the current year, the secretary general of the Department of Health has told the Dái(...)

HSE director general John Connaghan before the Public Accounts Committee. Screengrab: Oireachtas.ie

The number of legal cases initiated against the National Screening Service by women claiming their cervical cancer was misdiagnosed has increased to 3(...)

Emma MhicMhathuna has said the delay by the HSE in sending files to the scoping inquiry ‘shows how incompetent they are’. Photograph: Collins Courts

The number of women affected by the cervical screening scandal is likely to increase significantly. To date the HSE has identified 209 women for whom(...)

Vicky Phelan who settled a High Court action after her cancer was missed in a smear test three years before she was diagnosed. Photograph: Collins Courts

The Health Service Executive has continued to defend a policy of delaying the disclosure of information to patients claiming that consideration must b(...)

  • 1
  • 2
  • Next
  • Last »