There is nothing in the legislation to say you have to go to a registered contractor for your self-build. Photograph: iStock

I am looking to buy a site and self-build. Can I get a block layer, carpenter, electrician etc, or do I have to go with a registered contractor? Also(...)

Tom Parlon, CIF director general, has urged the Government to retain the Help to Buy scheme for first-time buyers. Photograph: Dara Mac Dónaill

Any move to axe the Help to Buy scheme would compound the housing crisis, the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) has warned. The industry lobby g(...)

The rules of the help-to-buy scheme are clearly defined in legislation. The basic intention is that it helps first-time buyers meet the deposit requirements for buying a home.

We have been approved by Revenue under the help-to-buy scheme to get some tax back on our self-build property and our solicitor now has to verify the (...)

According to the Revenue, whether or not you qualify for the Help-to-Buy scheme would depend “entirely on the level of dereliction” of the property you are buying.

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing an old derelict house which we plan to demolish and build a new house on the site. We are both first(...)

The definitions in Finance Bill 2016 state an “approved valuation” for a self-build is the valuation approved by your mortgage lender.  Photograph: Neil Hall

I am currently building a home that I started two weeks ago through a building contractor and looking to qualify for the Help to Buy scheme. I am wo(...)