“If you provide a home rent-free for your dependent parents, then, for the purposes of capital gains tax, it is considered to have the same status as your principal private residence.”

I bought a house in 1997, primarily so that my parents could retire and live there rent-free, though it was also my home for a time. After about six (...)

A couple changing tak credits mid-year can involve a big clawback by Revenue from the spouse who was working. Photograph: iStock

Taxes, commuting costs, childcare: it sometimes feels, in relation to finance, that there is no point going back to work after taking a break to rear (...)