Methody claim another title in Ulster

Champions successfully defend Ulster Schools Cup with comfortable win over Belfast rivals

RBAI 5 - 20 Methodist College

Ulster Schools Cup

Methodist College fans at Ravenhill. Photograph: Presseye/Matt Mackey/Inpho

Date: 18 March, 2013

Venue: Ravenhill

Mon, Mar 18, 2013, 17:26


Methody became the first team to win back-to-back Ulster Schools Cups since 2009 as they beat Belfast rivals RBAI in the final at Ravenhill.

The game came to life on 12 minutes after a scrappy opening when Inst captain Joshua Atkinson crossed for a try.

Inst took a scrum against the head and outhalf John McClure made a break but was stopped short, scrum half Connor Young spun the ball wide for Atkinson to go over unopposed but McClure missed the conversion.

Methody levelled the scores on 32 minutes after a sustained period of pressure in the Inst 22.

From a five metre scrum number one James Gallagher went close but he was held up and another set piece was awarded.

Again Gallagher went close this time the ball was quickly recycled and outhalf Josh Bingham went on a darting run and had the power and pace to get over but he missed the conversion.

Bingham had a chance to give Methody the half-time lead but missed with a drop goal so the sides turned round level at 5-5.

Methody took the lead nine minutes after the restart with a try from winger Conor Kelly.

From a lineout the forwards drove and the ball was quickly released to the backs, Rudi Benade burst through at pace he drew Inst full back Wright before putting Kelly clear and he had an easy run in. Bingham added the conversion.

Inst had Young sin binned on 46 minutes for killing the ball but Methody couldn’t score from the resulting penalty.

Kelly should have returned the favour for Benade but instead of offloading he went for the line himself and was held up short by a good tackle from Wright.

Bingham increased Methody’s lead to 10 points with 11 minutes left when he slotted over a simple penalty from the 22.

Methody sealed the victory with a try from Bingham in the 67th minute.

Lock Marc Campbell broke down the wing and he put in a perfectly weighted grubber kick and Bingham won the foot race to touch down.