User Menu

Munster round-up: St Finbarr’s and Nemo Rangers to go again

Cork club final a draw while Clonmel Commercials are crowned kings of Tipp

Nemo Rangers and St Finnbar’s couldn’t be separated in the Cork SFC club final. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho

Cork club SFC final

Nemo Rangers 0-14 St Finbarr’s 0-14

St Finbarr’s staged a courageous second-half comeback to force a replay with arch city rivals, Nemo Rangers, in an exciting Cork county football final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday.

Nemo took a firm grip from the start and registered eight points without response as the ‘Barr’s struggled to settle.

Nemo oozed class as they built with purpose, allowing Luke Connolly, Paddy Gumley, Paul Kerrigan, Barry O’Driscoll and Jack Horgan establish a commanding lead after 18 minutes.

Finbarr’s, eventually, found their rhythm and responded with three points inside a couple of minutes, including one from captain Ian Maguire.

Connolly picked out Gumley with a super pass for Nemo’s ninth point as they turned around fully in control, leading by 0-10 to 0-4 at the break.

And while Nemo stretched their advantage to seven points on the resumption, Finbarr’s took over around the middle, where Maguire was an inspiration.

They hit five points without reply to trail 0-12 to 0-10 after 47 minutes, with wing-back Colin Lyons claiming two crucial scores. Colin O’Brien made it a three-point game with six left before Sherlock kicked the closing three points to ensure another day out.

Nemo Rangers: M Martin; C McWhinney, A O’Reilly (c), A Cronin; T O Se, S Cronin, K Fulignati; A O’Donovan (0-1), J Horgan (0-1); B O’Driscoll (0-2), P Kerrigan (0-1), C O’Brien (0-2); L Connolly (0-4, two frees), P Gumley (0-2), C Dalton (0-1). Subs: J O’Donovan for Fulignati and M Dorgan for Horgan 52 mins, C Keane for O’Brien 52 mins, C Horgan for O’Driscoll 58 mins.

St Finbarr’s: D Murphy; D Quinn, G O’Connor, A McCarthy; J Burns, S Ryan, C Lyons (0-2); I Maguire (0-1), captain, E Comyns; D O’Brien (0-2), M Shields, E Dennehy; C Myers-Murray (0-1), R O’Mahony, S Sherlock (0-8, six frees). Subs: R Leahy for O’Mahony injured 47 mins, A O’Connor for Lyons 59.

Referee: C Lane (Cork)

Tipperary club SFC final

Clonmel Commercials 2-9 Killenaule 0-8

Clonmel Commercials required late goals from Richie Gunne and Jamie Peters to clinch a 17th Tipperary SFC crown.

Gunne netted with seven minutes left and Peters struck in a stoppage time as Commercials regained the title they last won in 2015.

Commercials went on to win Munster two years ago but they face formidable opponents in the provincial series in a fortnight, as All-Ireland kingpins Dr. Crokes lie in wait.

But for now, Commercials can celebrate their return to the top of the tree in Tipperary, even if a seven-point winning margin slightly flattered them in front of 2,451 spectators at Semple Stadium.

First-time finalists Killenaule finished with 11 wides but they were level at 0-8 each when county hurling star John ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer pointed ten minutes from time.

But after Jason Lonergan edged Commercials back in front, Gunne seized on a poor restart to land the game’s opening goal with seven minutes left.

Peters hooked an effort into the net to seal the deal late on - as Killenaule’s big day ended in disappointment.

But the Robins started like a train, going 0-4 to 0-0 clear within 12 minutes, before Commercials reeled them in.

At half-time Commercials were 0-7 to 0-4 clear, with All-Star Michael Quinlivan in good form.

They were three ahead again early in the second half - 0-8 to 0-5 - but Killenaule rallied to level.

That was as good as it got for them, however, as Commercials showed composure in the closing minutes to land the silverware in greasy conditions.

Commercials: M O’Reilly; J Peters (1-0), L Ryan, D Lynch; K Fahey, D Madigan, K Harney; S Kennedy, J Kennedy (0-1f); P Looram, R Peters, J Lonergan (0-3, 2f); E Fitzgerald (0-1), M Quinlivan (0-4), R Carroll. Subs: I Fahey for Carroll (h.t.), R Gunne (1-0) for Fitzgerald (45), R Lambe for Looram (59).

Killenaule: M O’Donnell (0-1 45); S Browne, J Feehan, G O’Rourke; K O’Dwyer, Joe O’Dwyer, L Meagher; K Bergin (0-3, 2f), P Codd (0-1); John O’Dwyer (0-2), T Doyle (0-1f), P Feehan; M Doyle, D Fanning, E O’Connell. Subs: E Barry for O’Connell (38), E O’Brien for T Doyle (45), D Guinan for Fanning (58), D O’Connor for K O’Dwyer (58).

Referee: D O’Mahoney (Ardfinnan)