Dave Lee Travis in court on sex abuse charges
British broadcaster to deny 11 counts of indecent assault and one of sexual assault
Broadcaster Dave Lee Travis (L) leaves the Old Bailey court in London, England this morning. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images
The 68-year-old DJ spoke only to confirm his name and that he understood his bail conditions at the 20- minute preliminary hearing at the Old Bailey.
He has indicated he will plead not guilty to the charges, which are said to have taken place between 1977 and 2007 against nine alleged victims aged between 15 and 29.
Travis, who wore a grey suit, white shirt and patterned tie for the hearing, has denied any wrongdoing since he was first arrested on suspicion of sexual offences in November last year.
His lawyer, Stephen Vullo, told the court he would prefer a trial to begin as soon as possible.
After the short hearing, Travis told reporters inside the court building he would not talk about the case. “I’ve got nothing to say.”
Earlier, Travis, whose real name is David Patrick Griffin, made no comment as he walked past a large pack of television cameramen and photographers on his way into court.
He was released on bail on condition he lives at his home in Mentmore, Bedfordshire, and does not contact the alleged victims.
Mr Justice Sweeney adjourned the case for a plea and case management hearing on October 21st and fixed a trial date for March 4th next year. The trial is expected to last four to five weeks.
After the hearing, Travis got straight into a taxi without acknowledging the waiting media.
Travis was charged last month as part of Operation Yewtree, the police investigation prompted by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, but the accusations against Travis have no connection to the disgraced television presenter.
The charges are:
- One offence of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged 18, in 1977;
- Two offences of indecent assault relating to a girl, aged 15, in 1977;
- One offence of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged 19, in 1978;
- One offence of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged between 26 and 28, on a date between 1981 and 1983;
- One offence of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged 18, in 1983;
- One offence of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged between 19 and 20, on a date in 1985;
- One offence of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged 22, in 1990;
- Three offences of indecent assault relating to a woman, aged between 26 and 29, from 2000 to 2003;
- One offence of sexual assault relating to a woman, aged 23, in 2007.