Shanahan goal fitting finale to Déise win


Munster SHC final - Waterford 1-16 Cork 1-13:Dan Shanahan put the icing on the cake with his goal in the second period of extra-time as Waterford closed out a famous win over rivals Cork at Semple Stadium to secure the Munster SHC title at the second time of asking.

Waterford were one point ahead (0-16 to 1-12) in the third minute of extra time when Shanahan latched onto a pass from fellow sub Eoin McGrath to send his shot past Dónal Óg Cusack and fortify the Déise lead.

In the 70 minutes of regulation time, the momentum swung one way and then the other in the final replay after both sides couldn’t be separated the previous week.

Waterford led 0-08 to 0-04 at the break after a first half best described as a slow burner. However the Rebels came storming back after the restart and took the lead before the Déise got the upper hand again.

In the opening exchanges Eoin Kelly put Waterford ahead with Cathal Naughton responding for Cork as Waterford opened up an early 0-04 to 0-01 lead.

Cork wasted a number of scoring opportunities as the front line struggled to find their range. That said the Rebels managed to fashion two goal-scoring chances, but Aisake Ó hAilpín shot into the side-netting and Patrick Horgan saw his effort cleared off the line by Noel Connors.

Waterford were nothing if not efficient as their first wide only came in the 44th minute, though Cork kept in touch. Ben O’Connor’s 33rd-minute free bringing the deficit back to 0-06 to 0-04 before a Kelly free and a converted sideline from Richie Foley leaving Waterford four ahead at the break.

With the floodlights on for the second half, a first for the Munster final, Cork upped their game and three points, two of them from half-time sub Paudie O’Sullivan and one by Michael Cussen, left it a one-point game.

Kelly’s free kept Waterford ahead but that was cancelled out by O’Connor and then Cork hit the front for the first time, O’Connor finding the net with a long-range free laden with spin in the 46th minute.

Waterford’s response was impressive though, four unanswered points leaving them 0-13 to 1-08 in front with 15 minutes left. Naughton and O’Connor levelled proceedings before yet another Kelly free. Cork were then handed a great chance when Michael Cussen was fouled in the large rectangle by Foley for a penalty.

Unfortunately for Cork, John Gardiner’s shot was tipped over, and though Waterford had chances to win it but all were wide and extra time was needed.

The first half was nip and tuck with Tony Browne’s free kept Waterford a point in front at the turn, but once Shanahan found the net the Déise had a cushion which they did not lose.

CORK: D Óg Cusack; S Murphy, E Cadogan, B Murphy; J Gardiner (0-2, 0-1 penalty, 0-1 65), R Curran, S O’Neill; T Kenny, C Naughton (0-2); B O’Connor (1-5f), M Cussen (0-1), N McCarthy; K Murphy, A Ó hAilpín, P Horgan.

Subs: R Ryan for O’Neill (35), P O’Sullivan (0-2) for Horgan (half-time), L O’Farrell for K Murphy (66), L McLoughlin (0-1) for Curran (end of normal time, injured),

WATERFORD: C Hennessy; E Murphy, L Lawlor, N Connors; T Browne (0-1f), M Walsh, D Prendergast; S O’Sullivan, R Foley (0-1 sideline); S Prendergast, K Moran (0-1), E Kelly (0-8, 0-6f); S Molumphy, J Mullane (0-3), S Walsh (0-1).

Subs: B O’Halloran (0-1) for S Prendergast (49), M Shanahan for S Walsh (61), J Nagle for Lawlor (68), D Shanahan (1-0) for Mullane (end of normal time, injured), E McGrath for Molumphy (80).

Referee: B Gavin (Offaly).