Istanbul airport attack: Dáil observes minute’s silence
Tánaiste says attack which left 41 dead and 240 injured was ‘vicious and indiscriminate’
Relatives of Siddik Turgan, a custom officer at Ataturk Airport who was killed in the attacks on 28th June, mourn during a funeral in Istanbul. Photograph: Deniz Toprak/EPA
The Dáil has observed a minute’s silence in memory of those killed and injured in the Istanbul airport terrorist attack.
Three suspected Islamic State suicide bombers opened fire and blew themselves up in Istanbul’s main airport on Tuesday , killing 41 people and wounding 239.
The attack was described as “vicious and indiscriminate’’ by Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald.
She said there was a need across Europe to reinforce efforts against the heightened threat posed by terrorists.
“The only way we can do that is by enhancing our collective collaboration and working at European level to put every single initiative we can in place,’’ she added.
Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin said it was the latest in a series of attacks in Turkey and outlined the need for ongoing co-operation between EU states and neighbours in terms of the enormous threat to citizens.
Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams said he also condemned the “atrocious’’ attack and he expressed solidarity and sympathy with the people of Turkey and the families of those killed and injured.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charlie Flanagan has also condemned the attack, saying:
“On behalf of the Government and the people of Ireland, I wholeheartedly condemn this barbaric attack on innocent airline passengers.
“Ataturk Airport is a major international crossroads and this was an attack on the both the people of Turkey and on the whole international community.
“It shows the lengths to which extremists are prepared to go to inflict harm and reinforces the need for international cooperation to track down terrorists and to stop these kinds of attacks.
“My thoughts are with those who have been killed or injured in this attack and with their families and friends, to whom I extend my deepest sympathies.
“I will also be personally communicating my sympathies to my Turkish counterpart, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavusoglu.
Mr Flanagan confirmed there had been no reports of any Irish citizens being caught up in the attack and advised anyone with concerns to ring 01 408 2000 or Embassy Ankara on 00 90 312 459 1000.